Whats the "folding structure" in this quartz?

PamDF

Jul 2, 2014
Wuhan, Hubei Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the "folding structure" in this quartz?

Just Curious :icon_scratch:
IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2267.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is really hard to say but to me, it looks as if that part of the crystal was effected by extreme heat, possibly from a blast of heat from a volcanic vent. Of course I am just drawing straws here but it looks rippled as it was heated and semi-melted. Maybe some pics of the whole crystal from all sides and dow the length might help.

Frank

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it internal or external? such rippling is usually due to rapid crystal growth. If the ripples are internal and the outside is smooth, as stone whisper says, it is a phantom crystal however if the affect *as I see it* is external its a combination crystal(s) of rapid and slow growth. Growth can be affected, as huntsman surmises, by heat flux in the solution that formed the crystal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PamDF

PamDF

Jul 2, 2014
Wuhan, Hubei Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it internal or external? such rippling is usually due to rapid crystal growth. If the ripples are internal and the outside is smooth, as stone whisper says, it is a phantom crystal however if the affect *as I see it* is external its a combination crystal(s) of rapid and slow growth. Growth can be affected, as huntsman surmises, by heat flux in the solution that formed the crystal.

It is internal and the outside is smooth indeed, sorry its so hard to take pics of a clear crystal :D
Thanks huntsman that must explain it then, the heat flux creating these neat lil folds that almost look like someone crawled in and made it with their hands!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is internal and the outside is smooth indeed, sorry its so hard to take pics of a clear crystal :D
Thanks huntsman that must explain it then, the heat flux creating these neat lil folds that almost look like someone crawled in and made it with their hands!

You are welcome and thanks but I am still not sure what I wrote was correct! LOL!! I am somewhat familiar with crystal growth and structure and what can effect a crystals growth but I am by no means very knowledgeable. I love Gems and Gem prospecting and while I know some about they way they form, I know that I need to learn a lot more. Having owned and still owning one Lab Grown 100% color change Alexandrite Gem that has inclusions in it just like a natural Alexandrite, I have tried to learn as much as I can. My' Gem was part of a crystal that was being grown in a Lab in California when the big earthquake hit and the crystal stopped growing when the power went out. However, apparently because of no air conditioning and because the Lab got so, so hot inside while the power was out, the crystal began to grow again on it's own and due to this, it developed with natural inclusions inside of it. My' Alexandrite is 3.5 carats and was poorly cut but was told that if I could get it re-cut and not lose more than 1 carat, that the gem could be worth in the tens of thousands of dollars. I could kick myself for selling the other two Alexandrite Gems that I had that came from the same crystal!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntsman.. you know more than you're willing to admit.. I've seen several occasions where you've offered suggestions as to what something is or could and I could the doubt in your statement.. and there isn't any need to doubt anything. People do not trust their own instinct or common since when dealing with lifes small questions.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be partly healed fractures, to.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread