Rock & Gem Identification

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to make a few comments based on past experiences here as well as from other forums and even a few gem mines.. I'm really growing tired of others attempting to discredit what I've said as well as what others have said.

1) Common People, This isn't rocket science and attempting to label or identify a rock purely from a picture have earned the the phrase "Stabbing in the Dark" seeing how all we have to go on is a picture, often one's advice is over looked or discarded. In this case, no one is right nor no one is wrong.. IF one truly wants to know what something is.. then have an official gemologists or geologist examine the stones first hand.. and I enfranchise the own hand, but just seeing the image online, one can miss different elements of the stone.
Clearly if it looks like quartz.. than 9 out of 10 it is quartz.. I believe one should trust in themselves to identifying their own stones. In other words.. I call it like I see it and the main objective is not to discredit what I've said or see within a 2 dimensional image. So instead of attempting to discredit what I've said.. why not offer something of credit to who even posted the images..

2)
If one wants more of a defined idea of what something is, then one would need to seek out a lapidary or geology club and again show them first hand.. In this case Bear has been locating stones and seeking the gemologist (on site) to verify these stones.. which anyone and all should do.

3) And this one is extremely important.
All finds have value but may not be valuable. If one follows me. Asking what something is worth is a bit pointless because if I was to tell you something is worthless or extremely valuable.. and you'd attempt to sell it for such and never get that set value.. would you blame me?. So asking what something is worth is a bit pointless.

So let us all be mindful that others here have just as good info to offer and should not be scoffed at just because it may seem redundant or that you may not be as open to others suggestions.

Lastly, I've been asked why I've ignored several users.. My reasonings are clear.. these users have attempted to discredit all that I have attempted to offer within this and many other sites.. Let me remind everyone that this is an Open forum.. where all ideas and comments are welcome.. so attempting to discrediting others based on their comments or suggestions doesn't help the community or forum.. How much planner than that must this be.. help those that need the help and avoid comments that do not need a reply. We all have something to say based on our own past experiences..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread