I found some unique rock with a skin like crust. Help I.D. Please.

dannyd200105

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2014
Mojave Desert
Detector(s) used
One that didn't cause stresses on my marriage!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in the Mojave Desert found these the other day. They were on the side of hill with siltstone like material amongst a large out-cropping of volcanic rock. photo 3 (3).JPG photo 2 (3).JPG photo 4 (1).JPG photo 5 (1).JPG photo 1.JPG

OP
OP
D

dannyd200105

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2014
Mojave Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent hours researching the web and reptile skin was one of my searches but nothing turned up. I'm not sure if you can see it but they have a cream colored agate like interior. The color is solid and there is a good bit of clarity. One possible match was bony plates from a reptile. I also spent some time looking for possible coral or saltwater related matches. Whatever it is, it's one of the most unique items I found while rockhounding.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some neat looking stuff. Looks more like chalcedony formations but that is some strange patterning. Kinda looks like some opal formations I've seen as well. I wont rule out a fossil though. Hrm....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dannyd200105

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2014
Mojave Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are all transparent and solid in color. The interior ranges from light to darker taupe with a pinkish hue. I know this sounds weird but I'm an amateur and have a hard time describing what I see. I've been rock hounding for about 4 years or so from California to Georgia and have never seen anything like this. Pretty neat and glad to have it in my collection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google up some images of snakeskin agate, Danny. The patterns that come out when polished are amazing.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some amazing specimens! They would take center place in my din my rock collection. Please keep us up to date if you find what they are. Oh and I have found opal in the Mojave.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dannyd200105

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2014
Mojave Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jleonhardy got it right, thanks for the help. I took the kids out to the spot yesterday after work and the three of us found some nice pieces, a total of 9 lbs. They are pretty small by comparison to other agates but their really neat. They range in size from 10 grams to 100 plus grams with most in the 20 to 40 range. Some have lost their crust but still bear the snakeskin on the agate. Im excited to polish some up. The shapes are quite different as well, some are cylinder like coral, some are seashell shaped and others are relatively flat. The majority have a solid interior color and although some may think only one color is boring, the translucent color is quite beautiful. Thanks for the replies and I will soon be posting some of my other desert finds.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread