My red potato from Idaho

opee

Oct 26, 2009
hales corners. wi
Detector(s) used
BH and AT max
New to rock hounding. Mostly do metal detecting. But I found this while diging a penny signal in Idaho falls this week. Don't know what it is but if anyone thinks that they know ? Would like to here about it.

ForumRunner_20140809_192317.png

ForumRunner_20140809_192349.png

ForumRunner_20140809_192410.png

ForumRunner_20140809_192438.png

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you found a big ol' chalcedony nodule, Opee. If you find one that is solid red all the way through, and the light shines through the red, you really have something. Most of the ones in Idaho are either milky white, or tending to milky apple green. I know a place, in the upper Little Lost Valley, where you can find them right in the basalt cliffs where they form. Some big geodes in the same place.
Jim

Upvote 1
OP
OP
opee

opee

Oct 26, 2009
hales corners. wi
Detector(s) used
BH and AT max
Thank Jim I have been going to idaho a lot lately. Going a Hailey this week any thing I should be looking for there?

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can find an access point along the Big Wood River, you can hunt the gravel bars for jasper, chalcedony, agate, opal, petrified wood, etc right in the gravel. If the private land has you stymied, try getting into the river channel at a bridge. Once you're in the channel, as long as you're below the high-water mark, you're legal. Or, you can head downstream a ways to find where the river runs through BLM land, then you're good to go. Sometimes, with the low sun facing you, you will see the sunlight shining through the big pieces of quartz and chalcedony.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
opee

opee

Oct 26, 2009
hales corners. wi
Detector(s) used
BH and AT max
Thanks for the tips Jim. I will do some research on this. If I get something I'll post it. I have some other stuff from the falls I will try to post. I think that one is a pcs of petrified bone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread