Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The colors are still there. You'll probably only be able to see them while the stone is wet. The surface of most stones are very rough and make a matte, dull, appearance across the surface. This matte obscures the internal features of the stone. Water fills in the rough surfaces and allows greater transparency making a dull stone jump out with colors and other internal features you wont see in the dry condition. Polishing or treating the surface with a clear lacquer serves the same effect that water does by removing *polish* or filling in the rough surface and increasing transparency.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dancer, that answers my question nicely. Thought I was hallucinating LOL

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be surprised what a spray bottle of water will show you while your out in the field ;)

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cleaning a rock yesterday with a little Dawn and water and when I finished, it was beautiful! Purples and reds and pinks! YUMMY. Then it dried off and colors are gone? Am I missing something?

The colors will show longer if you put mineral oil on the specimen. This also shows you the color the stone would be if it were polished.

Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soap and water generally wont hurt anything. Some softer and more porous minerals should not be washed with soap. Gypsum minerals and opal are two examples. Just rinse the soap off well. A good rule of thumb is if its a hard mineral soap is safe, if you can scratch it just rinse it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread