More opals

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more opals I'm hoping to identify. Turns out my mom was holding out on me, she had all but one of these stored with her stained glass supplies for many years. There are 6 that are doublets that someone had started.
I believe I have an Andamooka opal? I picked it up a couple months back with a bunch of crystals and gems a woman was selling from an abandoned storage unit auction she had bought. Does this one seem to be a good quality opal?

Thanks again for all the help, I've learned so much since coming here.

Angel

2014-08-19 14.38.43.jpg 2014-08-19 14.41.41.jpg 2014-08-19 14.43.53.jpg 2014-08-19 14.48.26.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you got a fine piece of Andamooka opal there :) Have some myself from my friends brother down under. You'll have to ask around about the opal but it looks like you have a good lot there. A rock and mineral show would be a good place to try and flog'em.

Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more opals I'm hoping to identify. Turns out my mom was holding out on me, she had all but one of these stored with her stained glass supplies for many years. There are 6 that are doublets that someone had started.
I believe I have an Andamooka opal? I picked it up a couple months back with a bunch of crystals and gems a woman was selling from an abandoned storage unit auction she had bought. Does this one seem to be a good quality opal?

Thanks again for all the help, I've learned so much since coming here.

Angel

View attachment 1040614 View attachment 1040615 View attachment 1040616 View attachment 1040617
Very nice looking specimens you have there!! Before I comment further, is there a chance you could repost photos with something for a size comparison? Perhaps a coin, or a ruler. I cut and polish precious opal to suppliment my rather small SS check, but it's hard to tell much about opal unless you can see what size you're dealing with.

Thanks very much!!

Eagle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ivybridge

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost always forget the coin when taking photos. Here is another, I even found another little opal and I added the 2 opals from my other post. The doublets have the most fire and I'm sure could be finished up into stunning pieces. The larger white piece is thickest and hardest to get the fire to photograph.

2014-08-20 12.29.53.jpg

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the time, you see less "play of color" in lighter shade base tones like white and cream colors.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure that Opals that get too dry (they generally contain 6% to 10% water) can become kind of dull and lose some of their fire. Just soak them in water overnight and you should see that they have a new sparkle and shine to them the next morning. Just don't soak the doublets as the water can get between them and the backing and ruin their' appearance.

Nice pieces!

Frank

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to recall that the aussie opals generally contain 3 to 6% water, more then that and their unstable and will tend to crack.
The water loss is in a molecular level.

Some opals which are very prone to crack are therefore always kept in a glass with water - as specimens.

You got some good looking pieces in there, Ivy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ivybridge

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help.. I have them soaking in some water now, I believe they were in that jar for at least 15 years.

Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help.. I have them soaking in some water now, I believe they were in that jar for at least 15 years.
It seems that at one time the opals were dry enough to work. Otherwise, you wouldn't have the doublets and the shaped, polished ones. But, if they've been in water for the last 15 years, by all means, keep them in water. (Other wise, if they've been dry all of this time, get them out of the water.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ivybridge

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they were stored dry along with some other stones she had and just remembered them all. I didn't put the doublets in water but have removed the others.. I don't want to damage anything.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread