Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Fresh, hand-cut gems!!!

Here are four hand-cut gems cut by Doc at Doc's Rocks Gem Mine in Blowing Rock, N.C..
My partner & I found these stones; not in a mine, but in a stream (except for the Ethiopian Opal) and had them cut at the gem mine.

First photo is an Ethiopian Opal .90 ct. 6mm Cab Cut - North Carolina Emerald .65 ct. 7x5mm Oval Cut

125_2485.JPG

Ethiopian Opal .90 ct. 6mm Cab Cut - Untreated

125_2497.JPG

North Carolina Emerald .65 ct. 7x5mm Oval Cut - Untreated

125_2509.JPG

North Carolina Ruby 1.10 ct. 7x5mm Oval Cut - Untreated

125_2526.JPG

125_2537.JPG

North Carolina Black Sapphire .95 ct. 7x5mm Oval Cut - Untreated

125_2544.JPG

All of these gems are natural and untreated. The Black Sapphire is interesting! Black Sapphire is actually a very, very DEEP blue that appears black as night!

Thanks for looking! :occasion14:

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You really couldn't see from the photos, just the smaller fractures. It had a big one that ran nearly half-way through it. I will have photos up of the new cuts a little later!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The newest Emerald did not turn out as well as we'd hoped, but it's still unique.

Rough: Approx. 6 cts.

125_2947.JPG

125_2948.JPG

Cut: .65 cts. 6mmx4mm EC - Appraised: $500.00-$525.00

125_3037.JPG

Working on the new Ethiopian Opal still. I'll have it up tonight.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is actually looking pretty neat. If your ever up for a trade on some emeralds of decent quality PM me! I'd really like to try some, I so far haven't.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the Ethiopian Opal:

Rough: 5 cts.

125_2891.JPG

Cut: 1.10 cts. Oval Cab

125_3041.JPG

For some reason, this was the hardest photo to capture. It really displays a lot of greens all over.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Opals always have been tricky to photograph. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this one before, but it needs to go in our cut gem thread!

Bi-Color Mexican Fire Opal

125_2865.JPG

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
You've come a long way young Jedi.. and you've pick up where I left off years ago.. trying to home facets was very time consuming and having bad hands doesn't help matters.. Again I used a dremel with a diamond wheel and a homemade plastic shoe box as a "sling" containment setup.. Using a homemade drip system which looked nothing more than an crude IV that allowed water to drip onto the diamond wheel when cutting or shaping.. To acquire a couple of the angles.. I used a pencil.. (five sided) and dropped the stone on the end.. then using a flat surface I held the pencil on the diamond wheel to get the facet.. Again crudely done and my best work was the emerald cut citrine.. which later broke because I knew it developed a hairline fracture during the cut process. Afterwards.. I sold the dremel and just never went back..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:occasion14:

I'm getting there! It's been a fun ride so far. I wish you could still cut. I'd love to see some of your work! -Luke

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Bear.. If you seen my work.. you'd be looking at your own.. there isn't much different.. But I will suggest that once you get a bit more handy at knowing what and how to cut the stones, you'll start focusing on stones that are clear to near flawless and perfect.. The facet Citrine.. was near perfect, clear and without any inclusions.. took me forward and a day to cut the stone and remove all the imperfections.. The fire opal.. is one of those stones.. as I said you're on your way to know how to cut.. now it's time to know what you're looking for so you don't waste that cut.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Bear, This is a for instance jerry rig setup I used often to achieve a crude facet cut stone..

ob_87ef9d_100-0737.jpg

Image: Using the pencils flat sides and a jerry rigged setup consisting of dowel holes, Allowed me to facet cut the stone at different angles. The dremel was off to the right is a plastic shoe box as to contain the sling from the wet diamond bit.

ob_b62a04_100-0723.jpg

Image: Freehand emerald cut aquamarine.. Note the crude facets..and this stone has yet to be polished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that handle you made for the dop stick is an amazing idea!

I love the cut. I've got some older equipment here like a dual grinder/polisher, different belt-driven sanders, tile saws and just about everything I would need to hand cut. Some of it is newer actually. Need some more diamond blades, belts and such to make initial cuts. They're pricey but worth it. I've heard of ways of preserving the life of the blades as well. I've only cut Agate, Petrified Wood and Chalcedony so far, but I did well and only had minor crazing in the small agate. The rest came out good. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A little group action...

I never saw just how gorgeous this Ethiopian Crystal Opal was until tonight!

125_3182.JPG

125_3186.JPG

125_3188.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread