Citrine i found and wanted to share.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Citrine and topaz for Tnet 001.JPG More Citrine and topaz for Tnet 005.JPG More Citrine and topaz for Tnet 006.JPG More Citrine and topaz for Tnet 008.JPG Found this chunk of Citrine the other day. This piece is eye clean and mostly transparent. Camera does not give the justice it deserves. So clear that in one photo can see my corn growing in my garden in the background through it. Weight is 340 grams. If my calculation is right that's 1740 carats. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
No need to explain on this one! The transparency is exceptional! Congrats on an amazing find!

:occasion14:

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is an incredible find! Is it a natural ferrous citrine, or did you find it in an amethyst location? I have a couple of "baked citrines" out of an amethyst hole. I'm guessing the amethyst reheated at some point and transformed into a baked citrine, as opposed to a natural ferro-citrine. Nothing that comes close to that clarity, though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks JLeonhardy. This is natural yellow orange Citrine. Never have found any amethyst, Although I would like to. Found another piece just about like this one but gemologist said it was Topaz.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself to a geologist and you'll have a positive identification. :occasion14:

The gemologist I had experience with didn't have much experience in rough gems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself to a geologist and you'll have a positive identification. :occasion14:

The gemologist I had experience with didn't have much experience in rough gems.

Yeah BruntBear you are right as I was thinking I might check out the same one you been seeing across the state line. I know I will have to drive some distance from where I live but that would be a adventure too. Still trying to gather enough stuff together. Thanks.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get out to California, G, I'll send ya to my favorite purple hole down between the Mojave and Death Valley. 'Course I'll want to trade for *your* site ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get out to California, G, I'll send ya to my favorite purple hole down between the Mojave and Death Valley. 'Course I'll want to trade for *your* site ;)

Thanks J, I just might take you up on that but don't know sounds a little bit scary. LOL.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find, G! That might be clear enough for faceting - GEMMY!.
Clean it up with something to remove the iron-related crust on the outside so you can see better what you got.
But that's just a suggestion. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, G! That might be clear enough for faceting - GEMMY!.
Clean it up with something to remove the iron-related crust on the outside so you can see better what you got.
But that's just a suggestion. :)

Thanks Eu for the reply. May I ask what is the best thing to use to get the crust off of minerals? I have a smokey quartz too with a crust on one whole side of it and the crust is so thin that light will pass through it but would be eye clean all the way through it if the crust was removed. Thanks for all your help and me I am trying to learn more.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the US you can buy something called "Super Iron Out", or something similar. Its supposed to be good.
Oxalic Acid is common, to, but use gloves for that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread