Is this Beryl? Help with Id.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this digging couple days ago. Check the Specific Gravity on twice and the S.G is 2.73. Has 6 sides and seems to be yellow to me. 6 sided Berul 005.JPG 6 sided Berul 006.JPG 6 sided Berul 007.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks JLeonhardy for reply. Out of the range for quartz as quartz is 2.65 S.G. Has 6 flat sides. That is what I thought it was when I first found it.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a good spot? This sure keeps getting better and better.

I agree with J that this looks like quartz. A certain margin can be expected for certain scales. What accuracy does your scale have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a good spot? This sure keeps getting better and better.

I agree with J that this looks like quartz. A certain margin can be expected for certain scales. What accuracy does your scale have?

Eu_citzen the one I am using is Saga Digital scale. Seems to be accurate. Weighing modes g,oz,kg,lb, has tare function.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not familiar with those. But it usually says that the precision is for example 0.01 grams. It should say when you purchased it. :)

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quartz crystal. Your SG is at the top end but that's fine as there is some other element involved giving it its coloration. Crystal structure is correct for quartz, beryls rarely terminate with points and when they do they are rounded and multifaceted. Here are a couple of links that'll help on a data base I've found quite useful for more common minerals. Its a nice crystal though and I'd polish it to bring up its high points~ might even be a true citrine.

Quartz: The mineral Quartz information and pictures

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/beryl.aspx

pointed beryl.jpg

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. Definitely a quartz variety. Beautiful specimen!

Hey G,

It's evident you're in the right spots man. You just keep pulling them out of the hat. I'm looking forward to getting you down in N.C. for some prospecting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quartz crystal. Your SG is at the top end but that's fine as there is some other element involved giving it its coloration. Crystal structure is correct for quartz, beryls rarely terminate with points and when they do they are rounded and multifaceted. Here are a couple of links that'll help on a data base I've found quite useful for more common minerals. Its a nice crystal though and I'd polish it to bring up its high points~ might even be a true citrine.

Quartz: The mineral Quartz information and pictures

Beryl: The mineral Beryl info & pictures (aquamarine, emerald)

View attachment 1050294

DDancer can you or anyone tell me what is good to polish stones with. Some people will not buy stones if they have been polished. I don't know why. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Definitely a quartz variety. Beautiful specimen!

Hey G,

It's evident you're in the right spots man. You just keep pulling them out of the hat. I'm looking forward to getting you down in N.C. for some prospecting!

Yeah I got to do that and I am going to bring some of my stones to show you.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't polish that one unless you want it sawed up and faceted. "polished crystals" are a common tourist trap, most collectors I know don't want the faces polished.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As EU says it would require a fair bit of work to polish out. I have to disagree about polished and faceted stones being tourist traps~ if it makes the person who buys it happy who cares but a real collector will probably pass on such altered stones. I'm more of the mind that polishing that one may enhance it and if its a true citrine a cutter may like it well enough to take it off your hands. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was not talking about faceted stones being tourist traps. (I do facet, after all!)
I meant those crystals which have their crystal faces polished. I guess DD is right that the average guy doesn't care. I for one would never buy such a stone for my collection, though. :)

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that crystal! Are you digging on your own land?

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
G Freeman You need to have a dig party on your back 40.. I would that I'm invited.. I've heard of something called Iron out.. and the stone would be soaked in this for however long.. as for the polishing.. or even faceting.. I would take it to a gem shop like Gem Mountain pay about $85 and have them clean this up for you..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread