BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I've struggled a bit with this, but I think I'm catching on; we'll find out, lol.

Although Citrine is a color-variety of Quartz, there always seems to be controversy & speculation as to "what" is "what" and what is real.
I've researched and the only real difference that I can see is how the trace minerals (aluminum, iron oxides, etc.) are placed in, or on the crystal.
So, if the foreign minerals are inclusions; it is technically stained Quartz and if they are actually part of the crystal structure, it would be Citrine.

I took this photo today of one of my specimens of Smoky Quartz with a yellow appearance to it:

1.JPG

Under magnification, you can clearly see that the yellow is from inclusions of foreign minerals:

2.JPG

I tried another specimen:

3.JPG

Under magnification, this one turned out different. The crystal itself is yellow and although there are a few spots that are inclusions; I believe these trace minerals are part of the crystal structure.

4.JPG

Any input and help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem distinguishing between quartz with iron stain and citrine or topaz, hope someone could help us out on this.

Quartz and Citrine has specific gravity can be 2.60 to 2.70 because they are both quartz and Topaz has SG 3.5 range. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BruntBear I believe that is one of the best questions that you ask, that I have read on Tnet. Someone will really have to know about that and I have noticed a slack in response to that one. I am waiting for a response to find that out too.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the quartz crystals I've found are often stained a orange brown color that usually doesn't affect all the crystals. Citrine was once called "the poor mans topaz" so it would seem citrine would more resemble topaz leaning more to lime yellows. One of my books, The Gemstone Handbook by Arthur Thomas, says citrine is fairly rare in nature and most of the commercial stuff is obtained by heat treatment.

Maybe it's easier to find a topaz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Much easier to find Topaz! I probably found 30-40 Topaz specimens to 1 Citrine specimen!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yellow stained quartz will often have the colour mainly inside cracks and the likes. That's one hint.

Citrine on the other hand is just yellow quartz, quartz without stains. It is coloured by Iron (ions) in the crystal structure. This is what a bi-colour quartz-citrine can look like:

yes, natural untreated citrine is rare!

Topaz has a striation that goes in a different direction then quartz, feel heavier and has cleavage. All good typical signs, the hardness is also a good idea to test if your not certain.
Topaz will scratch quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I used a 10x loupe placed in front of the lens of a digital camera and used the macro setting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions