conglomerant rock found at dig site.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock weighs about 20 lbs. Found it at bottom of a bank where it came to rest and dug some in the bank but could not find exactly where it came from. Has a lot of green in it and sparkles all over. Think its quartz and would like to bust it to see what is inside. Has a few holes that I can see inside through loope and there are green pointed crystals inside. Wife says I can bust it but I haven't found another place to live yet so I won't. Thanks for looking. From rock collection Sep 27 2014 041.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 042.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 045.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 046.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 048.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be quartz and some beryl crystals,I have some very light green beryl crystals.

Red James Cash thanks for reply. This rock is very hard and I tried to scratch the green crystals without success and it took a lot of mothernatures cement to glue these stones together.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, it does not appear to a conglomerate. The structure looks to massive crystallization. Its possible there is feldspar mixed into the host matrix which is quartz. As to the green coloration? Copper, manganese or nickel are possible. I feel there is at least two forms of mineral crystallization at work with one filling the spaces in the quartz host. What ever other mineral is involved in the coloration is also altering the quartz from its normal patterns and making it chunky. My thoughts. Conglomerates usually have a variety of minerals stuck together by cement~ usually clays and calcium. My thoughts.

Upvote 0

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
The green could be olivine mineral which is found in a lot of Igneous rocks which is commen with quartz.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I find quartz like that in areas some call "gemmy" Usually in mountains. _MG_2097.jpg

Here's some smokey quartz sharing space with some microcline.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found it near Amelia/ Amelia court House, I'll bet it's a mix host quartz/albite + cleavelandite/muscovite. If you find it in Virginia, it's good to determine exactly where. If you head towards NC, things change. Towards PA, things change. Hard to make any guess at all w/o better info. It's all about location. The Blue Ridge is chock full of various stuff. Good luck and HH! Yak

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey- now that I understand where you're from, check out this page and see what you think. there's an example from Carroll County if you scroll down. HH! Yak

Mineral Gallery from Virginia

Hello yakler. I don't think many people dig or hunt minerals rocks and such here in carroll county. I have over 100 acres here on the farm to look for stuff. Finding some stuff and having fun. HH.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions