My obsession with MI septarians paid off with this 100 LBSer

Rattlehead

Dec 16, 2010
Byron Center, MI
I found a new spot recently for finding Michigan septarians or Lightning Stones as a lot of locals call them. I used to be lucky to find one where I could make a 2 -3 inch sphere out of them. But recently, I've been getting my feet wet a bit and dragging some lunkers out of Lake Michigan. This is a pic of a 100+ pounder my friend helped me get out. There is a 30 pounder in the background. If I can cut or core the thing I may be able to make a five to seven 5-6" spheres out of it. This is by far the biggest one I've found with such good patterns most likely inside. It sunk the raft I had brought to bring it back so we had to improvise. I found an old dock section that had washed up on shore and used that as a raft to pull it about a mile through the water then up a huge incline to the car. I couldn't move the next day hardly, I was so sore. The only bad thing was I found a probly equal size amazing pudding stone in the water on the way back, and may have to go back for it, so I can get a good nights rest!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rattlehead,

Thats pretty cool. I have some septarians but not near as big as that.

Would love to see some of the spheres that are made from this when you get them done.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I've swam Lake Michigan I froze my butt off.
Are you going to need to build a larger sphere machine to manage stones that large?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions