shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's this?

aqua 1.jpg aqua 2.jpg AQUA 3.jpg This is really heavy and hard at least a 7 and very blue. .

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might contain some silver ore. That is usually a darker grey blue though. Take it to a mineralogist.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? The crystals didn't look quite right for quartz to me. They are octagonal, kind of long and chunky looking. And there is no gray, just blue. Must be photo.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photo does not show blue to me, just a darkening in the stone. Stonewhispers thoughts are correct in that its a piece or weathered quartz. You say its blue and that type of quartz is found in the general area your avatar says your from, Virginia. Here is a link with an interactive map base, scroll down and you can see areas in Virginia that blue quartz has been found as well as a reason why its blue. Blue quartz, like rose quartz, forms crystals very rarely as the minerals involved in the coloration tend to disrupt crystal formation. Good strong coloration in blue quartz can be valuable for natural pieces but the quartz is typically only found in massive form like your specimen. Rattlehead might be able to make a nice sphere or egg of it :)

Blue Quartz: Blue Quartz mineral information and data.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD. Appears it may be blue quartz, as it is close to my area. I also noticed that they are not showing the beryl mines we have. Just over the ridge from my area. Both aquamarine and hellidor. Only about 3 ro 4 miles from us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some massive Blue Quartz from North Carolina.

1.jpg

2.jpg

This is the mineral that is causing the blue color in my specimens. I'm not entirely sure what it is though.

125_2163.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't look at all like what I've got. Mine is more rounded, agate looking. Got both dark and light blue. Just not the same thing. I will post them again.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like weathered quartz to me too. I have a chunk of what I thought was the famous blue quartz- but of really ho hum quality- but it isn't. I'll get some pics up in a couple days. In the mean time, here's a little bit of info which may or may not apply to the specimen above/ BurntBear
Blue Quartz: Blue Quartz mineral information and data.

Shaman- I think I live kinda close to you- perhaps close enough to compare finds. I'm in Albemarle Co- and work down in Nelson.
Just getting used to this area- the land of quartz...
HH! Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Franklin Co Yakker. Not to far away. I am a definite newbie though. Don't know what I'm dong most of the time!

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing Shaman. Neither do I. At this point, I'm looking to VA mineral/gem website and resources and going out every chance I get looking for stuff that 'ring a bell'. Having some sort of visual aide is always good- so I check mindat.org often-- maybe too often. Good luck w/ your hunts- and if I'm ever traveling in your direction, I'l give you a pm. HH Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked at the minedat page for blue quartz, it's just not the same thing I don't think. Or maybe it's just that some is crystalized and some isn't?

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. I think you're right. Some is 'massive' and some chrystaline. At least that's what I gather from what I'm trying to learn. HH Yak

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best tip I could give: Don't get to hooked up on looks. People often show their "best" pieces, not always the massive pieces.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread