OP
OP
L

Ladyburn

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm going to suggest you find a gemologist or geologist and have them take a look. I feel reasonably certain you have found some green amber. Either that or someone's cast offs from playing with some sort of epoxy resin. Its not slag~ insects or any other critter would be destroyed before the material could harden around them. Baltic ambers can be found in Sweden and green amber as well hence why I asked where you found the specimens. I've only ever seen it at rock shows here in the US and if genuine with insects can be worth a bit to collectors.

If you could just down size your photos :) Hot links to other sites are generally frowned apon and besides its a pretty interesting mystery.

Is the best option to attach files on this page ?

Here is what one rock contains, small variations between them :

Ni 50 ppm
Mo 17 ppm
Nb 22 ppm
Ba 0.058 %
Co 85 ppm
W 595 ppm
Cr 0.016 %
Cu 0.003 %
La 0.003 %
As 3 ppm
Pb 27 ppm
V 0.022 %
Zn 0.0060 %
Zr 201 ppm
Se 3 ppm
CaO 0.18 %
MgO 3.18 %
SiO2 54.7 %
Al2O3 24.2 %
MnO 0.07 %
TiO2 0.97 %
Na2O 1.93 %
K2O 4.52 %
P2O5 0.08 %
Fe2O3 9.85 %
Br 7 ppm
Cl < 1 ppm
Sr 60 ppm
Y 32 ppm
Ga 29 ppm
Rb 151 ppm
Th 57 ppm
U 30 ppm

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw man :( If that's the breakdown of the stones then I'm way wrong. Well cant win everything. Hehh. Amber is an organic and that breakdown is for~ Glass. I cant explain the fly *sad* in the ointment. But it does look pretty cool.
I'm not worthy......

For a slag I'll have to go with some sort of pottery glaze like others suggest because of the various trace elements and high alumina and potassium level.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, it would be a sensation if it was green amber. :) Especially near a meteoric impact, since none of those are known to exist near the ocean where the amber comes from.
Amber is only found in southern Sweden. For once I had the "home advantage". :occasion14:

I think I know what area she is referring to. Much of central Sweden has a long history of mining, so slag is very likely.
The "fly" is probably a inclusion which fools the brain. The wings might be fractures beginning to develop.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread