Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My little finds (Don't laugh too much)

I live in an area that has no rocks, hills, or other awesome rock formations. I live in south eastern Louisiana, basically the river delta between two main rivers (Mississippi and Achafalya).

I got into rock-hounding after I went to Hiddenite, N.C. a few years back. Read books on geology, minerals and gemstones. I have a little rock collection as well.

Now, we have no anything with rocks, however, rocks down here it's refered to as limestone no matter what. At my place of work, we have it in the back and it's used for driveways etc.. but it's really not limestone, it's more like Quartzite kind of rocks. So, I have an eyef for rocks (I think) and I'll share some of these small finds. Maybe get an opinion on what they are.

Quartz w/ Cintrine? 1st two 2 pics

Quartz crystal

Different angle

This little matrix- Quartz and Calcite? It looks like snow

Different rock from above

The.following is quite intriguing, any comments on what or make up pf this next rock. It does have a cool blue color to it. All pics are the same rock at different angles

Tiny geode in tiny rock (same as above)

Close ups (same rock as above)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try taking the pictures dry, first of. As a first thought I would guess quartz or calcite, despite the wet stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^Okay^^ I'm new at what makes a good picture for one to look at and give their advice on what it could be.

Upvote 0

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try googling Louisiana rough opal, maybe it could be this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did research on what little stuff we could have. But the main color of the stones sold by dump truck loads are gray with some having black and quartz in it. These rocks are not native to my part of the state, actually no rocks are. Louisiana opal and palm wood is found like 4-6hrs north of my location.

Upvote 0

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks soft, I think EU is right on with calcite

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my little bit of knowledge from the books I read, I agree as well.

It's not scratchable by nail but the fuzzy snow like stuff is brittle that little effort is needed to break it off.

Now is Calcite only in white or in nature could it be found in different hues. Some of these little stones has blue hues of color viens running through them ( quartz and blue colored parts as well but compacted) The blue colored parts are hard and will scratch a softer rock.

Forgot to mention, a few of these rocks here have bubble holes (Like it was in a malleable state and a bubble would have popped).

I thank y'all (yes we use that) for the responses.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
The pale blue or the more solid mass stone is that of a Thunder egg.. aka Chalcedony. Which can contain, agate, quartz etc in a limestone outer shell. If the crystals within the pockets are more rounded (nodules) instead of pointed.. this is a sure sign of Chalcedony.
Do not let anyone else tell you that your pics are not worthy. These are some of the best examples of some extreme close up I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks^^ All taken with an Android cell phone with Macro option on.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody is going to make fun of your finds. Really beautiful quartz with pyrite, some calcite too. Really nice little samples...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks^^ I would hope no one would but title is more for "Awe, the Cajun found himself a pretty rock" (like jokingly).

I saw that too. I've been wanting to get a jeweler's loupe (sp?) to better examine the structure of the mineral. I have a geode (small tennis ball sized) that is full of little points of quartz that I would love to examine. (Got it from a local festival, guy had a mobile flume there with seeded soil of course).

Maybe I have the winning lottery numbers tonight and I'll have a getaway home somewhere in N.C. soon (wishful thinking)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a little tip: calcite will bubble and fizzle in contact with acid. If you have vinegar you can try it.

As for photos, many do struggle with that. If you want to get better, try first with a white paper as a background.
Take a picture as to show the hole specimen as good as possible. If you can, set a high "F" number, gives a larger area in focus.
I usually suggest taking a picture outdoors, for less trouble. But only if it isn't to dark. :)

Here's what a decent picture might look like:

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try Arkansas for someplace closer to home ;)

My thoughts on what your looking at are a mixture of chalcedony with micro fine quartz crystals. Possibly some citrine as well. Calcite is another possibility but your observation on the hardness tells me no. Fine crystalline calcite does not travel well and you say your finding it in decorative gravel kinda confirms its quartz nature.
I've found a lot of interesting stuff in decorative gravels and road gravels~ jaspers, agates, granites with corundum, tourmaline and fossils. It can be a grab bag of goodies :) Some of my cool stuff came outta the hotel decorations at the places I've stayed over the years while out having a smoke and fossicking around a bit. Sometimes there is no need to go far from home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah^^^ actually, I'm planning a trip there for next year. From Crater of Diamonds to Hot Springs

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread