Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a flint:) Stone relics were formed from a lot of materials and that one will either be a bit of chalcedony or agate. But its pretty cool none the less :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Think DDancer is correct. I have seen dozens of points in Texas over the years that were this type of material...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a flint:) Stone relics were formed from a lot of materials and that one will either be a bit of chalcedony or agate. But its pretty cool none the less :thumbsup:

Guess it could be that type of material thought it was flint though. 1st in that color for me. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint, chert and jasper are all pretty much in the same family and all were used to make stone tools. Micro crystalline silicates by and large fracture and chip like glass and can be knapped into tools. Agates and chalcedony can fracture in the same way and also fall under the class of micro crystalline silicates however they differ from flints in their trace minerals and coloration.
Flint and chert are black and white in coloration though some forms can be orange like you sample however they have a matte appearance and much sharper fracturing than an agate or chalcedony. Flints don't demonstrate translucence though some jaspers do. Agate and chalcedony, like your sample, do demonstrate translucence quite often.

flint 1.png chert.jpg jasper 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD you are probably dead on. I have always liked colorful rocks but to find a colorful NA artifact is the top of the list for me its like collecting pieces of art carved in stone. Check this one out I found yesterday. Im calling it yellow sugar quartz but it might be something else. It has some creek material on it. Don't want to scrub it to hard.
You can see by my avatar that one has some nice color.

Attachments

• SDC11540.JPG
    SDC11540.JPG
    872.5 KB · Views: 74
  • SDC11538.JPG
    SDC11538.JPG
    947.4 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions