Ive been given access to old Manganese pit mines!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been given access to old Manganese pit mines!

This thread will likely get interesting! My partner and myself have been studying the local geology of our area and looking for access to certain areas on private property. We've already found Corundum, Opal, possibly Beryl, Carnelian and much more in our local streams. None of which have been documented for this area.

A very good friend of ours has property (200-300 acres) bordering the Cherokee National Forest. It's been in his family for many generations. His father and uncle co-own the property and they have given us permission to prospect freely. They also own all the mineral rights. His great-grandfather operated two old Manganese pit mines. I did some research and found an old USGS from around 1923. This is where my interest hit a peak.

We're not really interested in Manganese in particular, but what we are interested in is the associated minerals/crystals! The USGS described and pictured some beautiful Rhodochrosite specimens as well as Manganite and Rhodonite! If any of you know anything about Rhodochrosite or Rhodonite, you know why I'm excited!!! There are other mineral specimens present as well. We will be looking through any tailings we can find first and go from there.

I ventured up into one of the mine areas the other day and this is what I stumbled across. No time for collecting yet, just browsing!

125_3312.JPG

125_3313.JPG

These "pits" are merely trenches dug into the hillside. Maybe 12 feet deep and about the same across the top. At first glance, these look like natural formations. These trenches are deeper in person. It seems to flatten it out in the photos. You can clearly see the "cut" in the second photo on the left side. Notice the tires? They were purposely put there long ago in which I assume was an attempt to deter anyone from randomly digging. This is the smaller of the two mines, but reports specify that it was mined with "favorable results".

More to come soon! -Luke

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is manganese used for? Geologist at the museum said some of our samples were that and asked where we got it. Not sure how much there is, probably very little although we have quite a few of the black rocks he identified. Congrats BB looks like fun!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Manganese is used for many applications; particularly in relation to steel to prevent rust and corrosion. It's also used in batteries. These mines were mined for Manganese ore for both World Wars. -Luke

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cant wait to see if you find anything. Old mine tailings are always fun.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting to see. *nods*

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First Digs

So, we made it over to the pits today and dug a few test holes. I discovered four additional pits, so that's at least 6 pits. One is about 14 feet deep and 80-100 feet long. I found huge Manganese ore laying about, some deep blue and white Chalcedony & small Manganese-related ore like Psilomelane. While digging through the clay (everything is clay here) we would hit deep red/purple pockets in the clay which ended up containing soft, red minerals; almost the consistency of Calcite. I'm aware that this area is also rich with Dolomite shale.

Here are a few shots. We started digging a few small holes on top of one of the tailing mounds which line the hillside.

125_3651.JPG

125_3652.JPG

Some of the ore:

125_3657.JPG

125_3658.JPG

125_3659.JPG

125_3660.JPG

125_3668.JPG

125_3669.JPG

125_3670.JPG

125_3672.JPG

125_3674.JPG