General geology- how did these formations come to be?

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious if anyone could explain, geologically, some of these rock formations. Just a curiosity. I understand some very basic fundamentals, but everything I know is piecemeal from a few years of googles research. I understand sedimentary rock is a cumulation of years of compression underwater.

1. So... for the first one here, I took this photo at the top of a hill (yes, I realize it would have been under a sea at one time.) How would this swirl have formed into a rock in layers like this? It just stuck out as odd to me.

IMG_20141026_160004_271.jpg

And a close-up:

IMG_20141026_160009_372.jpg

And a reference to how high up we were (no, the toy isn't indigenous to the area, lol)

IMG_20141026_160120_854.jpg

2. Next, what in the HELL causes a perfect hole to be made into limestone (sandstone?) like this one. This was not so high on a different area completely.

IMG_20140330_134938_172.jpg

3. This is some fossilized something. Probably aquatic material. Aquatic fossils are the only ones found in my area, both plant and animal, with the exception of a few Mastadons (not to be confused with a much older relative, the mammoth) skeletons, but not sure if those are considered fossils or just bones. My question here is, what made this fossilize, as opposed to just dissentigrating into the sea floor (what was a sea floor at one time) like everything else? Was it a sudden freeze from the ice age, which I understand to be a gradual process? My area is called the driftless area, where the hilly terrain forced glacial progress around us, but apparently didn't have glacial forms. This is believed to be the case due to the lack of loess or drift material that glaciers carry, hence the term driftless. And is the star shaped thing anything or just a coincidence in formation?

IMG_20141018_175622_252.jpg

IMG_20141018_131231_840.jpg

4. What kind of formation is this called, and how did it form? A neighbor owns it and didn't know, just kept it because it looked cool. It is not from Wisconsin, I THINK he said Montana? I can find out if it matters.

IMG_20141026_143733_555.jpg

And a view of what's inside from a broken piece.

IMG_20141026_143740_599.jpg

5. And finally, this is a personal find. I dug it out of the side of a creek. It is obviously not THAT old, but how did rock form in it in such a short time (can't be more than a hundred years old, I have identified it as a farm implement wheel)

IMG_20140419_192817_939.jpg

Thanks for anyone willing to teach me something! I numbered the questions for easier reference in answering.

Attachments

• IMG_20140330_134819_048.jpg
    IMG_20140330_134819_048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20140330_134945_804.jpg
    IMG_20140330_134945_804.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20140330_134950_627.jpg
    IMG_20140330_134950_627.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, I guess there are more attachments, I didn't realize they would stick around if I didn't "line insert them." Just other cool formations. Typical of our terrain.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert either but I have seen dripping water form holes in stone. One I remember was some twenty feet across.
The one that looks like a bone #7 & 8 looks like calcite I've seen in cave formations. A drop of HCL can indicate calcite.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unscientific answers to some of the others to tide you over: if there was a dip/bowl shape depression, it could attract sediment in bowl shaped layers, or be filled in at once, depending on water/sediment flow (right, guys?). Can't tell if the hole is on the ground, or a wall, but wind & water can take a little hole (roots, small weaker area) and just pick at it til it gets bigger...
If that is really "rock" on your wheel, I suspect cement...
and for your extra pix - isn't erosion fascinating!!
Don't you love road cuts, too?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1. Like you said, a sedimentary rock. What kind would help get out a more detailed knowledge, limestone reacts to acids. Try it, perhaps with some vinegar, which isn't to dangerous.

The different "layers" can come from variation during deposition. I.e. when the clay-like material settled in the ocean. Sometimes more "coarse" material settled, sometime of a finer sort.
Of course some of the layers look like they filled in "depressions", i.e. holes in the ocean at that time. My knowledge on sedimentary rocks is limited, so I'm just guessing a bit.

#2. ??

#3 Dried out "cracked" clay could be one alternative.. Which turned to rock.

#4 ??

#5 Precipitation. If there is a lot of limestone, water can dissolve the carbonates (i.e. calcite which limestone is made up of for most part) and when the chemical conditions allow it will "fall out of solution". I.e. form crusts, in this case on a more modern thing.

I hope I could help a little bit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unscientific answers to some of the others to tide you over: if there was a dip/bowl shape depression, it could attract sediment in bowl shaped layers, or be filled in at once, depending on water/sediment flow (right, guys?). Can't tell if the hole is on the ground, or a wall, but wind & water can take a little hole (roots, small weaker area) and just pick at it til it gets bigger...
If that is really "rock" on your wheel, I suspect cement...
and for your extra pix - isn't erosion fascinating!!
Don't you love road cuts, too?

Makes sense how the hole there formed. That was on a wall.

The wheel has sandstone or limestone embedded. That was a bad pic to get a sense of what kind of stone. Here is a BEFORE:

ForumRunner_20141029_132128.png

And DURING:

ForumRunner_20141029_132226.png

And here is a closeup of the stone:

View attachment 1072626

I'm not home to get better pictures, but it is most definitely sandstone or limestone. This really opened my eyes to just how fast stone can form.

Thanks for the explanations!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "swirl" is what is known as soft sediment deformation, while the sediments, looks like lime mud from photo, were still soft they slipped or were rolled along the bed of a shallow sea. It also look like the unconsolidated muds were torn up and consolidated into another sediment before the sediments became lithified or solid. Probably formed in an ancient shallow warm water lagoon. Probably formed on a slope and slid or perhaps a violent storm hit the area. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1. Like you said, a sedimentary rock. What kind would help get out a more detailed knowledge, limestone reacts to acids. Try it, perhaps with some vinegar, which isn't to dangerous.

The different "layers" can come from variation during deposition. I.e. when the clay-like material settled in the ocean. Sometimes more "coarse" material settled, sometime of a finer sort.
Of course some of the layers look like they filled in "depressions", i.e. holes in the ocean at that time. My knowledge on sedimentary rocks is limited, so I'm just guessing a bit.

#2. ??

#3 Dried out "cracked" clay could be one alternative.. Which turned to rock.

#4 ??

#5 Precipitation. If there is a lot of limestone, water can dissolve the carbonates (i.e. calcite which limestone is made up of for most part) and when the chemical conditions allow it will "fall out of solution". I.e. form crusts, in this case on a more modern thing.

I hope I could help a little bit.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Keep it coming, I'm a sponge soaking it in! Mentioning the clay, that would explain the fossilization. Since clay lacks oxygen and has other preservative qualities, stands to reason that's where the fossilization would occur. This is fantastic! Pardon my excitement, but once the ball's rolling, it only gets bigger!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To create fossils you just need some bones preserved, which can be replaced by minerals.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is pretty accurate about whats being displayed. Limestone formations are sedimentary deposits for the most part and are composed mostly of carbonatious materials~ ie calcium carbonates, calcite, aragonite and the like often with fair amounts of silica and vitrified clays. One can look most of this info up online and its all true ;) Most of the material is derived from ancient fossils from old sea beds or other long extinct waterways. Some hold larger fossils, usually shells, but most are microscopic fossils. Water over time often dissolves and redeposits the minerals and "flows" over items left in its path like the wagon wheel. In some caves the bones of extinct animals have been encased and "fossilized" in limestone deposits~ this has been seen to occur in ancient sinkholes. The wavy pictures are good examples of sedimentary deposit. The bone may be an old fossil.

Limestone is fairly soft and because its sedimentary is often harder and softer between layers. This difference allows things like wind and water erosion to cut it in ways that can be pretty weird :) Animals, like birds, lizards and burrowing mammals often cut into exposed limestones to make their shelters.... or just occupied the holes made by nature though we humans cut into it as well ;) The picture of the hole may be what remains of an old burrow.

Limestone can exhibit patterning as well due to clumps of crystallization of the various carbonates and the pictures with the wormy structures and star structures are good examples of this.
I've seen things like this myself fossicking around limestone formations~ when I was younger looking for caves or fossils ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have hundreds of caves in the area. Many "burried treasure" stories. From Gangsters in the prohibition, counterfeiters in the Civil War, Indian relic stashes of pre-coumbian time, to ancient giant skeletons found in different parts; they abound.

All the information is great!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
longlivethejeep

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooooo, I thought of you today when I saw this post about "the other China Wall" by the Bryce Canyon people:
https://www.facebook.com/BryceCanyonnps?fref=nf
they talk a lot about how the park's formations came to be in their posts

Incredible. This a glimpse of what my area probably looked like tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago. Let the climate change through natural weather evolution, allowing consistent watering for vegetation to grow, then the thousands of years of trees and animals decomposing turning the soil into a fertile dirt; the remnants of those peaks still stick up from most of the hilltops. Amazing!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions