Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slab saw is just a large disc saw for cutting strait lines thru large hard materials. Trim saws just use a smaller disk and are meant to cut little bits off at a time. As long as the stone is small a trim saw will do fine. Slab saws usually use a heavier motor than a trim saw and are meant to work for longer periods of time due to the thickness and resistance of the materials being cut.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 to 2.5 inches is about the max for a 6 inch diameter/ 3 inch radius blade. Trim saws have a thinner blade and are for finer cuts but will slab small stones. A slab saw is typically 12 inches or better and have a thicker blade for course cutting however narrow fine blades can be had.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Slab saws are expensive!

Ya, real slab saws are pricy that's why a lot of people will buy a 10" tile saw to get by. Replace the blade with a thin kerf diamond blade. Rig up a vice or two and maybe a gravity feed system. Not quite the same as a real slab saw but tile saws can be had for $200 at (can I say this here?) Harbor Freight.
I like the design where the table moves and the saw blade is stationary rather than the saw itself moving over a fixed table. Just me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at those. Wasn't sure what kind of blade besides diamond though. Thanks for info!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DD nailed it. And I know several which use tile saws instead. Just make sure not to get a to large blade, it shouldn't hit the bottom of the water supply. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions