BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I've been racking my brain the past few days. I had a request from fellow TN'er, Jim_in_Idaho requesting to see some of the Rubies I've posted under long-wave ultraviolet lighting. Thanks Jim...that was not an easy task...lol.

I quickly came to the realization that standard glass camera lenses don't capture the fluorescence that you see in person. Internet resources recommend Quartz or Fluorite lenses that are astronomical in price. So, after hours of research and not finding a remedy; I decided to take a step back and think for a second. What filters UV lighting on a daily basis? I grabbed my high-definition, impact resistant motorcycle sunglasses and placed them over the camera lens....

:laughing9:

This is the result captured at 380nm:

125_3450.JPG

This is the same specimen under standard incandescent lighting:

125_3417.JPG

Here is a rough crystal specimen:

125_3451.JPG

And under regular lighting:

125_3370.JPG

More to come very coon! Thanks for looking! -Luke

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It has 9 bulbs, made by Blacklight Master. It's awesome with fresh batteries. It takes 3 AAA's. Of course, this was to capture photos, not prospect; and now I have to think about all that!

That sounds pretty amazing. I'm a little curious to what amount of exposure could be potentially harmful to us handling these lights.
The longwave isn't a big problem. The shortwave is dangerous. You should NEVER look directly into a SW light source. They make special goggles that block the SW light. It's a good idea to wear them. You can get a bounce-back from water, or other mirror-like substances. One thing I noticed, when first prospecting with the light...even in LW...I got a little nauseous....sorta like a carsick feeling. It was worse the first night, but persisted on following nights. I finally wore the UV goggles, and that pretty much stopped it. The googles also help your vision when using the UV......things are sharper. There's something about that UV light, including LW that messes with your focus....not real bad, but enough to make you a little sick to your stomach. You get used to it with experience, but it never goes completely away...except with the goggles. The googles only cost about $15.00, so a good investment.
Jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel kinda dumb ;) Thanks for pointing out the danger of SW Uv lighting Jim. :icon_thumright:

Goggles are important when using UV sources as they can damage the eye. Long wave typically is not a problem but short wave will burn the retina.
As to the effects on vision UV lighting is sensed by the color portions of the eye and over rides the black and white part of the eye. The result is a loss of some depth perception which leads to the disorientation Jim is describing. The goggles cut off that signal and allows the black and white part of the eye to operate~ this improves depth perception and orientation. Using short wave you may also notice a burnt electrical smell~ this is ozone being created by the energy of the UV light reacting with oxygen. Its typically not to bad unless you working in a closed room for a long time so ventilation is a good thing. The old mercury vapor UV lamps were real bad about ozone production. Ozone can be nauseating and irritate the eyes and respiratory tract (itchy nose) so if you notice this take a break and air out.

Looks like your having fun :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many thanks, DD. I knew I was sort of sick, but now I know WHY I was feeling sick. UV prospecting is fun, and really interesting, but a person needs to do some research, and pay attention. My light has a fan to keep the ozone down, and for cooling, but I haven't needed it much. I mostly prospect with LW only, as most gems fluoresce best in LW. But SW lights up more minerals, so is also useful.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I experienced a little disorientation after taking the photos. Luckily, I'm viewing everything through the camera LCD instead of with the naked eye.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BB, I've got a HD Sturgis edition shovelhead from 1981 I've owned for a long time. Like Bob Seger, "I'm still running."

Guys how about a 1947 HD with a suicide clutch and side shift, kick start I think it was called a pan head back in the day. Bright red with white sidewalls and black leather saddle bags, brother had a 46 we would go to the deserted beach in Va. between Buckroe & Grandview and mark us off a quarter mile and drag race when the tide was out, of course this was back in the 60's. Would like to have it now it would be quite a show piece, but time marches on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
More eye candy! These North Carolina Rubies are exceptional and unique specimens:

125_3808.JPG 125_3809.JPG

125_3811.JPG 125_3815.JPG

125_3821.JPG 125_3825.JPG

125_3833.JPG 125_3836.JPG

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Luke: I think it was Summer before last a prospecting associate from Charleston and another from TN came over to my place at Treasure Valley just before dark and we went to the creek and also to my cabin where I had collected some rocks off the farm and he had a light that was both short wave and long wave and we had a ball looking at the rocks and I brought some of my rubies and sapphires and the one from Charleston brought and gave me some of his flourescent rocks, he has quite a collection. It was a fun evening and I have separated my flourescent rocks from the ones he brought, maybe one day I'll get a light for myself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the Rubies in the collection are Star Rubies. We have very few regular ones unfortunately! We have stars from Tennessee too.

125_3890.JPG 125_3893.JPG 125_3903.JPG

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Nice. I particularly like the crystal ones. Thanks :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy would I like to collect flourescents. Seen some beautiful mineral show exhibits!
Although the bright reds, yellow and blues seem to originate abroad, I do understand
here, the northeast particularly New Jersey, produces some fine pieces. May have heard
Arizona and New Mexico also. All are 1,000 miles from here. Ugh!!
Where do you all think the brightest colors here in the US would be found?
And is there public access?
I've read lights including sw and lw portables are more affordable now.
Ray

Upvote 0

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy would I like to collect flourescents. Seen some beautiful mineral show exhibits!
Although the bright reds, yellow and blues seem to originate abroad, I do understand
here, the northeast particularly New Jersey, produces some fine pieces. May have heard
Arizona and New Mexico also. All are 1,000 miles from here. Ugh!!
Where do you all think the brightest colors here in the US would be found?
And is there public access?
I've read lights including sw and lw portables are more affordable now.
Ray
Anyone have thoughts?
I'd like to consider a trip this spring.
Thinking the "public access" is the issue. Ugh
Ray

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really cool...
Please be aware of the hazards of exposure to U.V.
Before you "scoff" ... read up on black light testing... and be wise when testing.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Orleans it may be helpful for you to do a bit of research on the various fluorescent minerals an note their names and areas they have been located to help you narrow down where you'd like to search. Louisiana is not a great prospect except in the northern part of the state however Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma may be some good leads. Pick up a black light unit, some uv googles, and just go :) If anyone is using decorative gravels at their business's check those for a taste of hunting in this way~ I'm not advocating stealing someones landscaping so use good sence. Gravels often have some interesting flourescents. Other than finding open areas you can also purchase some materials online for your collection~ uranium specimens and tungsten are quite vibrant but very limited in their locals.

Upvote 0

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your pics and the info links. Some really stuff here. Thank You...

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumping this post up again. Rock hound season is beginning and the post is very good for explanations on the use of UV for identification and hunting.
DD

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread