Red rock with crystals inside. Anybody?

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what crystals are in this rock. Anybody have a guess? Thanks. Green Rocks and Halloween 2014 019.JPG Green Rocks and Halloween 2014 019.JPG Green Rocks and Halloween 2014 021.JPG

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be red quartz? Doesn't look quite right. But I apparently have every color of quartz there is, and you're pretty close to me. Need a close up.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I almost want to say that it's a Garnet variety. Very interesting specimen! The third photo shows good crystal structure.

Awesome find Glen!!! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaman15771 you click on the picture for a closeup that may not be much better with this old camera I have.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It definitely looks cubic, so probably not quartz. We need DDancer to check in. It may be garnet, but the lack of color in some crystals bothers me. Maybe it's topaz.
Jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhombic structure, not a quartz or garnet in my opinion. Topaz? hrm. You'll have to do a hardness test, knife and quartz. My thoughts it is some red variety of calcite. It appears to have some translucency. Knife scratches it calcite. Love the color.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhombic structure, not a quartz or garnet in my opinion. Topaz? hrm. You'll have to do a hardness test, knife and quartz. My thoughts it is some red variety of calcite. It appears to have some translucency. Knife scratches it calcite. Love the color.

Thanks DDancer. Got the old knife out and it put a scratch on one of the crystals I can't wipe off so you nailed it calcite. Looking at it through loop the color is orange red. Maybe rare calcite. LOL.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to see pics of that lit up with a UV light. Nice specimen.
Jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UV would be pretty neat ;) Seen a lot of colors for calcites that one is very nice. As to rarity *shrugs* depends on local. Good stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UV would be pretty neat ;) Seen a lot of colors for calcites that one is very nice. As to rarity *shrugs* depends on local. Good stuff.

DDancer I tried UV light and its purple and the rock was purple under UV purple light so I did not see Flourescent from this rock. Just turned purple. Head scratching time again? Thanks

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
I would say skeletal or Cathedral variety of quartz, the red is probably from iron. i would try and locate more similar specimens

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lack of fluorescence in calcite isn't definitive. Some calcite doesn't fluoresce. Usually, manganese is the activator that causes calcite top fluoresce. It also requires another metal in the calcite as a co-activator, usually lead.
Jim

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, if the red is from iron; it would not fluoresce. Also, he already determined that it is softer than Quartz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lack of fluorescence in calcite isn't definitive. Some calcite doesn't fluoresce. Usually, manganese is the activator that causes calcite top fluoresce. It also requires another metal in the calcite as a co-activator, usually lead.
Jim

Thanks Jim, I needed to know that. Very informative.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like rose quartz to me.
Knife blade won't scratch quartz, Buck...has to be something softer. Crystals don't look hexagonal, either.
Jim

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To confirm calcite you can drop on a bit of acid, calcite will bubble and fizzle. Usually I suggest vinegar or some other not to strong acid.

To me it looks monoclinic. Not sure what it could be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To confirm calcite you can drop on a bit of acid, calcite will bubble and fizzle. Usually I suggest vinegar or some other not to strong acid.

To me it looks monoclinic. Not sure what it could be.

Eu_citzen I tried vinegar on the red rock and did not bubble or fizzle. Thanks for the idea.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread