Getting permission to dig.

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
So I have been doing a lot of research lately and have found numerous places to dig that might yield various crystals of all types. The issue im running into is its almost all developed land (neighborhoods), farm land, or just land that doesnt have a clear owner listed.

Im working on ways of contacting the farm owners now and finding other land owners, but im just curious about what to really say and whatnot, Now is the perfect time to dig a few fields before it gets too cold so id like to get out over the next two weeks for a final dig. Ive thought about just driving up to there home and asking but i dont want to trespass just to get permission. I have been collecting for years, but outside of the pay to dig places that are business i havent really tried to get out on my own and dig on private land.

Another issue im having is that ideally i like to dig for a few days 3-4 and dig a rather large hole 2-4ft in depth and diameter and im just worried that they might not like that or want that going on in their fields.

The source i got a good tip from said the crystal layer is 2-3 ft in depth from the surface with sporadic minerals mixed in the top layer. This is the main site im trying to get permission to dig atm, the fields have been harvested and all that is left is corn stubble so i cant see me digging being an issue but who knows

Obviously im just going to have to go out and do the foot work but im just looking for advice.

I plan to fill in the holes when im done and will not be leaving anything i brought behind and will be as respectful as possible to their land of course and i figured id mention that when i spoke to them.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
It's generally pretty easy to confront land owners if you know what spot you're looking for. MOST people are very friendly and many will let you go dig in the dirt. If someone is weirded out and tells you to leave the property; do just that. Tell them the research you're doing, what areas you're studying, etc. I think you'll be surprised at how easy it can be.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread