Big Black Heavy Hot Rock

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yesterday took my goldbug 2 metal detector to the farm and since gun deer season opened yesterday stayed away from where hunters were. And on another part of farm near my camper my wife had put some winter winter flowers around a couple of poplar trees and made a rock ring around the trees so out of curiosity ran my detector over the rocks around the tree and one rock really set it off. I did the discrimination and one other setting but you could still hear a little bleep from it. Any thoughts on what it might be, I'm no good at posting pictures but the rock is heavier than normal and mostly black. Oh yes I'm in Western North Carolina.

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a concretion- tap it with a hammer

heres a coin in one DSC00608.JPG cant be sure, without seeing it.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant really see it myself *hehh*, the one pictured is most likely an iron object that is heavily rusted out and the outer jacket is an exfoliation or iron oxide. Is that the same item your describing in your first post?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cant really see it myself *hehh*, the one pictured is most likely an iron object that is heavily rusted out and the outer jacket is an exfoliation or iron oxide. Is that the same item your describing in your first post?

No that is not the rock I'm talking about, I couldn't make the picture out either but from what I saw it is nothing like the rock I found. I know this is a long shot and that everyone that finds a strange rock thinks it is a meteorite, however it has passed the first two tests, it is magnetic and it doesn't show any streak, so I can rule out magnetite and hematite. Next week unless I find something negative in meantime may take it to our local Geological Survey office which is only about 32 miles away and let them take a look at it. I'm soaking it now in super iron out as it had a few rusty stains on the outside. It is extremely hard so from what I've read this is apparently variable regarding meteorites. In summary so far it is still a possibility but as I said at the beginning it is unlikely a meteorite.

Maybe someday I'll learn how to and be able to post pictures because I have a lot I could share from my property, ultramafics, pegmatites, amphibolites, rubies, sapphires, epidote and others regarding gold & hydrauliking etc.

ps how do you post a like on this forum to someone else's post ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting to see what you come up with. As far as pictures load them to a file in your computer, size them down with a photo editor *or we'll all have poster sized posts that never load ;)*, and use the insert image icon in the reply bar to pull the file and upload it to the post *that's the icon that looks like a little painting of a tree*.
As to likes just click the Like down in the lower right corner of the post you like.
Welcome to the Rocks :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread