Blue Rock ID Needed

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this little blue rock in my creek while hunting Native American artifacts and curious about what it might be. I live in the Western NC Piedmont if that will help ID it. It's very small and maybe 1/2" at the longest point.

100_8208.JPG
100_8202.JPG
100_8203.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like water worn azurite. Peacock ore is Bornite.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't really place it either. A hardness test would a good starter. Try using the little bitty to scratch a knife blade. Will it leave a scratch or not?

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, did you ever find out what it is ? It's the same color as Lapis, don't know if BurntBear's "Lazulite" is the same thing? It is pretty though, and what kinds of rock are "fish tank" rocks anyway!? lol

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color on that one. Im not a rock expert but would of picked it up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kat: No I never found out for sure what it is and re: the fish tank rock post, in researching the latest colored rock I found yesterday I saw something somewhere about some blue stones found in NC that are/were used for fish tank bottoms. The only thing I can say is that it is very rare for me to find green or blue stones in the creek and I'm in there poking around at least an hour a day in the warm months and a few hours each weekend so when I see them I pick them up. I have a green item right now that I'm not sure if it's a rock or glass so hanging onto it until I get it looked at. Yesterday I found this little guy in the pic that I believe to be green quartz and now hoping to find the big momma of it lol

100_8300.JPG Oh and the amethyst and other quartz I didn't find in the creek except for the pink, those are just some beauties I picked up at gem and rock shows. Although, amethyst have been found in the county where I live.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks a bit like turquoise or a copper-related mineral. Very bright color on that little specimen!

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread