Beryl with green stone on one end.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Beryl and was trying to figure out what is the green stone that grew on there. What do you all think it might be? Thanks. Rock with green stone on end 001.JPG Rock with green stone on end 002.JPG Rock with green stone on end 003.JPG Rock with green stone on end 005.JPG

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting specimen Glen. It appears more blue to me; might be the photo. Looks like it's a hexagonal crystal.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting Glen. Nice looking piece.Let us know what you find out

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of Amazonite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting specimen Glen. It appears more blue to me; might be the photo. Looks like it's a hexagonal crystal.

Yeah BB IT does look more blue green and I don't know maybe its just green Beryl or something but I think its worth getting checked out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of Amazonite.
DDancer great guess when looking at it but I tried scratch test with quartz and quartz wont scratch it. Talking about the rock behind the green stone as I did not try to test the green stone part. Through loupe I can see the same color as the green stone in the rock behind the stone but weaker.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDancer great guess when looking at it but I tried scratch test with quartz and quartz wont scratch it. Talking about the rock behind the green stone as I did not try to test the green stone part. Through loupe I can see the same color as the green stone in the rock behind the stone but weaker.

DDancer quartz wont scratch the yellow part of the rock behind the green stone so I think it is Beryl. SG is on the low side for Beryl at 2.63. Mindat.org. Maybe I should try to scratch the green stone and see what happens.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz wont scratch quartz either and the sg is in line for quartz as well. I'm only just taking a gut shot at the green end because it sparks my memories of similar materials I've found. This is one bit I'd rather had in my hand to eyeball. I don't see any real patterning however it does appear that the white and green areas are some sort of contact zone. Feldspar and quartz don't really mix well as they have competing crystal structures but I've dug mushy mixes before~ berlys tend to be exclusive of quartz as well. One think I do know is that I'd pick it up as well and be playing with it ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread