Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all thank you for looking. These ( i have several) were found in Arizona , in the Mogollum rim country. I picked these up from the surface , they were not dug up specimens. I thought they might be copper so i loaded up my pockets til my shorts were falling off. Anyway , upon further inspection this is as far as i know, which isn't much. they are very heavy for size , the egg sized piece is almost 8 ounces. a rare earth magnet won't come close to sticking to it , and when i filed the end the inside is shiny chrome looking. these had a streak test and was a pink or faint red. Which is why i tried the various magnets. Many that i have showed these to at first thought good old iron until they failed the magnet test. The pics were taken with my camera on my phone , so my apologies for the quality. Thanks again !!!!! Lou Picture 106.jpg Picture 089.jpg

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take one to the Geology Department at ASU. If they don't know what it is, no one will.

Upvote 0

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm this is interesting. Given then area I would think this could be copper based minerals of some sort. It looks like Chalcopyrite and Copper in the first picture but in the second it doesn't look like it at all. The streak is more indicative of pure copper. Does it always streak that way on white porcelain? Even when you try a different side or piece? Does the streak seem somewhat shiny or metallic? See if the brassy looking portion of the rock in the first picture streaks green or black. Also do any of the rocks you found have green on them at all? Look for green or blue to confirm copper. If you are daring you can break one of them open and see if a fresh face of the rock shows more clues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all parts of this specimen streaks pink or light red . there is no secondary color on any of them . I love chalcopyrite and this certainly is not that. I was going to attempt to cut this open for a more in depth cross section until a guy suggested platinum... in which case a specimen this size would be worth quite a lot. I forgot to mention that a hardness test yields 9+ . streak tests are dull , not shiny or metallic. The first pic is what it looks like in sunlight , the second pic is under incandescent lighting. I would collect more " just in case" but i am not in Arizona currently , i am back east on another treasure hunt.

Upvote 0

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all parts of this specimen streaks pink or light red . there is no secondary color on any of them . I love chalcopyrite and this certainly is not that. I was going to attempt to cut this open for a more in depth cross section until a guy suggested platinum... in which case a specimen this size would be worth quite a lot. I forgot to mention that a hardness test yields 9+ . streak tests are dull , not shiny or metallic. The first pic is what it looks like in sunlight , the second pic is under incandescent lighting. I would collect more " just in case" but i am not in Arizona currently , i am back east on another treasure hunt.

How interesting, the sunlight was throwing me off. I would send in some for assay for fun to see what it is made of. Hardness of 9 is also very interesting. Mohs of 9 would ruin a steel file used on it so that may be why you saw chrome as the file broke down. Also I don't think it would be possible to really test a streak with that as the plates are under 7 for hardness. Platinum would streak silver grey and be shiny. I am stumped. I am curious to see what it looks like closer up if you can get a higher resolution picture or a picture of a newly fractured piece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didnt file with a metal file . i used my makita grinder with a cutoff wheel. I will see if i can take another pic for you . probably try and post one tomorrow. as for the streak test , it was done on the unglazed side of the toilet lid. hope that helps

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its got my interest. As to hardness toilet bowl porcelain is in the 7 range for hardness just like tile. Off hand I'd say its a pyrite but the red streak doesn't agree though that does not rule out hematite being in the mix. Most pyrites are not magnetic unless they contain nickel or are mixed with magnetite. Its silver were you ground it off~ again this sounds like Arsenopyrite... did it smell like sulfur when you ground it down? If there were free copper in it I'd expect some greens or blues from oxidized material but I don't see any and your not reporting any so? hrm. A remote possibility is an electrum mineral. You can try a flame test and see what colors come of it as well. Another remote possibility is oroblanca~ white gold which is a silver/gold mix but that is typically only found down in southern AZ associated with the town and its placer deposites there.

Upvote 0

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well its got my interest. As to hardness toilet bowl porcelain is in the 7 range for hardness just like tile. Off hand I'd say its a pyrite but the red streak doesn't agree though that does not rule out hematite being in the mix. Most pyrites are not magnetic unless they contain nickel or are mixed with magnetite. Its silver were you ground it off~ again this sounds like Arsenopyrite... did it smell like sulfur when you ground it down? If there were free copper in it I'd expect some greens or blues from oxidized material but I don't see any and your not reporting any so? hrm. A remote possibility is an electrum mineral. You can try a flame test and see what colors come of it as well. Another remote possibility is oroblanca~ white gold which is a silver/gold mix but that is typically only found down in southern AZ associated with the town and its placer deposites there.

I was considering Arsenopyrite also but like most pyrites this would streak black. Also being that it is so hard, I didn't think that gold alloys like electrum were in the realm of possibilities.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*shrugs* Its a remote possibility. Not to many minerals look like that and with Arizona's mineral deposites there are quite a few hybrids around. Heck I've even kicked the idea of a space rock around :) If you can get some chips off of it try a flame test to see if there is copper present~ green flame~ sulfur~ bright yellow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have numerous pieces that were collected as i said earlier so i can test probably 20 pieces and still have quite a few. Most are dime size , this one in the pic is the largest. I don't believe there is any gold in it , i really was happy when i believed it was copper. This one is strange because it seems to defy each test and the more that i try the more twists it produces. Maybe i will call it copperfield because it seems to be an illusion when identification seems to be at hand.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A hardness of 9 would not allow for a streak test. If you have quartz, do a new hardness test with that.

Eudialyte can have a white to light pink streak, but looks no where near this.
There are more minerals which streak pink, but none that I remember look metallic.

I'd say have someone look at it in person. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread