Hexagonal crystal found today think its Beryl.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hexagonal crystal found today think it's Beryl.

Decided I would go scratch around today in spite of the weather and found this little hexagonal crystal with bluegreen in a lot of it. Think its Beryl. Thanks for looking and all the help. Double terminated green Beryl 009.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 012.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 016.JPG
No sunshine today so pictures are not that good.

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Rprimm,

Amelia County is home to many crystal finds, especially Aquamarine. Those mica deposits would be an excellent place to hunt. The famous Morefield Mine has a great host pegmatite zone. Here is a list of minerals for that location and you can click on the box at the top of the page that says "Photos" for photos of specimens from that area.

Amelia Co., Virginia, USA

Hope this helps and you could find some serious specimens in that area! -Luke

Upvote 0

Rprimm

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rprimm,

Amelia County is home to many crystal finds, especially Aquamarine. Those mica deposits would be an excellent place to hunt. The famous Morefield Mine has a great host pegmatite zone. Here is a list of minerals for that location and you can click on the box at the top of the page that says "Photos" for photos of specimens from that area.

Amelia Co., Virginia, USA

Hope this helps and you could find some serious specimens in that area! -Luke

Awesome! Man that's a lot of different rocks, I guess I'll just keep anything that looks cool and ask y'all about it... Do I have to dig to a certain depth before I can find certain rocks or is it different everywhere? Would I be correct in thinking that it's different everywhere because of layers being different, erosion, etc.? Thanks for the help! I'm going to try to get out there today

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Man that's a lot of different rocks, I guess I'll just keep anything that looks cool and ask y'all about it... Do I have to dig to a certain depth before I can find certain rocks or is it different everywhere? Would I be correct in thinking that it's different everywhere because of layers being different, erosion, etc.? Thanks for the help! I'm going to try to get out there today

What BruntBear said I agree. Let us know what you find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey G Freeman, Where are you finding this in Virginia? And is it in a creek, or are you just digging anywhere?
My family has some property in Amelia county and I'm just trying to figure out if we have anything cool that I could dig for. The property has some flat land, big hills, a swamp, a few streams that flow into a decent sized creek. Some places there are lots of mountain rocks (don't know what else to call them, being in Virginia you should know what "mountain rocks" I'm talking about)... Also some places with red dirt and lots of mica. It's pretty diverse... Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or tips you have for me for where I could start, thanks

Lost my connection for a moment so I will repost Rprimm. Not digging in a creek but a lot of springheads where I am digging.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well BB and Yakker this is the latest little crystal I found. SG is 3.33 but anyway it is probably quartz too. Haven't got it checked out yet so cant say for sure but got some sun this morning and hope yall can see the bluegreen in it. The bluegreen has such a shine to it if it is turned a certain way that my camera wont take that. Kodak greenblue crystal 12-31-14 001.JPG Kodak greenblue crystal 12-31-14 002.JPG Kodak greenblue crystal 12-31-14 004.JPG Kodak greenblue crystal 12-31-14 008.JPG

Upvote 0

Rprimm

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today, there are lots of flakes of mica but I don't know where the bulk of it is. I started digging in a random spot for a while but I felt like it's pointless just digging anywhere so I was walking through the creek beds looking to see if it could point me towards the mica. I never found what I was looking for but I still have some places I want to look. Are there any other things besides mica I should keep an eye out for? Also, how deep did you dig for that crystal you found today? And what kind of soil are you in. The hole I dug today once I got past the topsoil was red-orange sandy soil.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rprimm I have been finding a lot of my crystals in a pile of soil that came out of a small pond that was dug with a backhoe about ten feet deep and 20 feet across for the horses to drink out of. Hope that helps. Pond is spring fed so it filled up overnight.

Upvote 0

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
GFree that resembles the rock I'm working. A semi-relative brought me a batch from NM.
I'm just using a dremel which easily facets the green stone. Held to sunlight a beautiful
blue translucent to transparent hue. Don't know how to post photos so I'm hoping this
description will prompt an evaluation. The rocks I have are filled with these from small
to 1-2 inch specimens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GFree that resembles the rock I'm working. A semi-relative brought me a batch from NM.
I'm just using a dremel which easily facets the green stone. Held to sunlight a beautiful
blue translucent to transparent hue. Don't know how to post photos so I'm hoping this
description will prompt an evaluation. The rocks I have are filled with these from small
to 1-2 inch specimens.

Thanks lastleg, that is great info. When I find something like that and can't find it online to compare it with then it is special. Got a good friend of mine that is trying to find out what the bluegreen is. If you have pictures on your pc go to right above to the little icon where it will say insert image and when the box popes up choose my computer then select pictures and choose the one you would like to upload. May not show it is uploading but wait a minute or two and Bam you got it. Hope that helps as I would like to see some of your stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we see a pic of it? This is a really cool thread! Maybe what you have there is that rare g-freemanite! ;) Yakker

yakker I posted a few pictures of the last stone in this thread if you still wanted to see it.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well BB and Yakker this is the latest little crystal I found. SG is 3.33 but anyway it is probably quartz too. Haven't got it checked out yet so cant say for sure but got some sun this morning and hope yall can see the bluegreen in it. The bluegreen has such a shine to it if it is turned a certain way that my camera wont take that. View attachment 1099612 View attachment 1099613 View attachment 1099614 View attachment 1099615

You're going to make it a habit of finding unusual specimens, aren't you? lol :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to make it a habit of finding unusual specimens, aren't you? lol :occasion14:

That would be a pretty good habit BB if I can just keep it up. If you find out about the bluegreen in the crystals I might jut pitch a tent at the dig site and dig more. LOL. The more I study it the more it reminds me of Aquamarine. But I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
That would be a pretty good habit BB if I can just keep it up. If you find out about the bluegreen in the crystals I might jut pitch a tent at the dig site and dig more. LOL. The more I study it the more it reminds me of Aquamarine. But I could be wrong.

What they both reminded me of when i saw them was "ajoite in quartz" if you google that your specimens look like low grade versions of those. The color is not the same but vary similar. I dont know what the coloring could be you would have to get it tested to see what its made up of. I know of someone who sells lots of quartz crystals i could send him a picture if you'd like and see what he says about them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they both reminded me of when i saw them was "ajoite in quartz" if you google that your specimens look like low grade versions of those. The color is not the same but vary similar. I dont know what the coloring could be you would have to get it tested to see what its made up of. I know of someone who sells lots of quartz crystals i could send him a picture if you'd like and see what he says about them.
That would be alright with me for you to send them Flick420 and see what he says and ask him if the specific gravity is higher than quartz should be with that in the crystals. I looked that up and in my study they said ajoite was 3 and a half on Mohs scale of hardness and this stuff I got is at least as hard as quartz if not harder.Get back to me. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rprimm

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20150104_202729647.jpg Here's some mica I found fifteen feet past my property! I was kind of mad, on the drive out I found some bigger chunks washing out of the drainage ditch (also not on my property!) What do y'all think G Freeman and BurntBear? Is this kind of mica you were saying would be a good place to start?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1102149 Here's some mica I found fifteen feet past my property! I was kind of mad, on the drive out I found some bigger chunks washing out of the drainage ditch (also not on my property!) What do y'all think G Freeman and BurntBear? Is this kind of mica you were saying would be a good place to start?

Rprimm that mica could lead to something better. Just get permission to dig if you can find out where it is in the ground.

Upvote 0

Rprimm

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rprimm that mica could lead to something better. Just get permission to dig if you can find out where it is in the ground.

Cool thanks. Well It's in a creek is the problem so I'm going to try to locate some on my property and see what I find

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mica doesn't last long in alluvial deposits (minerals repositioned and re-deposited by water and erosion) once it hits the stream. If you found that in a creek; follow the creek upstream until you stop seeing the Mica. Then check the banks of the stream by digging test holes and looking for exposed rock. There must be a serious vein for you to find if you are finding Muscovite that big. :laughing7:

P.S. Know your land boundaries and don't dig on anyone's property without their consent. I don't want to see ya get hemmed up. It's so easy to ask landowners permission and many are more than willing to let you go play in the dirt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread