Hexagonal crystal found today think its Beryl.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hexagonal crystal found today think it's Beryl.

Decided I would go scratch around today in spite of the weather and found this little hexagonal crystal with bluegreen in a lot of it. Think its Beryl. Thanks for looking and all the help. Double terminated green Beryl 009.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 012.JPG Double terminated green Beryl 016.JPG
No sunshine today so pictures are not that good.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a great specimen! Really nice.
jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a phantom quartz.... hrm. Better lighting *nods*.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with DD, looks like quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did SG test on this little piece today DD and it was 2.75. A little high for quartz don't ya think.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
That's interesting Glen. I really like this piece. It does seem to have a Quartz-like termination.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) You know as well as I do that SG can vary due to other elements being present but yes it is on the high side.
What gets me is the shadow inside the primary crystal and the secondary one looks like it has a clear over coat as well. Makes me think there is
a smoky quartz inside them. As to the green/blue hue it does not come up well in the pics. A terminated beryl will be an exciting find its just that
this specimen does not seem to have the right character for that. But I'm not going to discount the possibility :) A funny thought is that there
is a smoky inside and its got a beryl jacket mimicking the crystal inside~~~ hrm.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see the blue-green color pretty well after the photo is enlarged which is really unique.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) You know as well as I do that SG can vary due to other elements being present but yes it is on the high side.
What gets me is the shadow inside the primary crystal and the secondary one looks like it has a clear over coat as well. Makes me think there is
a smoky quartz inside them. As to the green/blue hue it does not come up well in the pics. A terminated beryl will be an exciting find its just that
this specimen does not seem to have the right character for that. But I'm not going to discount the possibility :) A funny thought is that there
is a smoky inside and its got a beryl jacket mimicking the crystal inside~~~ hrm.

Hey DDancer I heard that. LOL. Everybody needs a Beryl jacket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah I got that DDancer. I need a Beryl jacket for Christmas. LOL.

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
Quartz can come in any color of the rainbow, based off the shape of the crystals, id say its quartz, i have a few similar specimens crystal/shape wise. what makes that crystal so interesting to me is the fact that it is blue and if it is truly natural blue quartz, its pretty rare, to find in crystal form. For instance rose quartz is very common, but it is extremely rare to find it in crystal form.

All blue quartz is is normal quartz with inclusions of various minerals, which is exactly what yours looks like. Unlike say amythist which is colored by built in trace elements to cause the coloring.

I have been watching your posts for a sec, and i think you are moving into a better region where your digging, it seems the crystals your getting have been improving as you go, where ever that came from id be digging for alot more.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Flick is correct and this excites me too. Blue-colored Quartz in terminated crystals are exceptionally hard to find. I think the best specimens come from Spain and Brazil and even still; there are rarely terminations of this quality or terminations period. The Blue Quartz I've found in North Carolina is from alluvial deposits and has been broken down over the years; although I've found quite a bit still in in a Schist host in massive form.

Here is a Mindat photo of a similar terminated Blue Quartz from Brazil:

http://www.mindat.org/photo-521278.html

Keep 'em coming G!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flick is correct and this excites me too. Blue-colored Quartz in terminated crystals are exceptionally hard to find. I think the best specimens come from Spain and Brazil and even still; there are rarely terminations of this quality or terminations period. The Blue Quartz I've found in North Carolina is from alluvial deposits and has been broken down over the years; although I've found quite a bit still in in a Schist host in massive form.

Here is a Mindat photo of a similar terminated Blue Quartz from Brazil:

http://www.mindat.org/photo-521278.html

Keep 'em coming G!!!

Yeah I have searched the web and collections that folks have and I have not been able to find the blue green color that is in these crystals. They are not blue or just green but blue green. What ever it is I love the color because it's different. Been looking for this color, cant find it. If anyone has a crystal with this blue green color in it I hope you will post it so I can see it. Got to be more out there somewhere. Thanks BB and all have a happy new year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Luke found another one of the 6 side Hexagonal crystals with the blue green in it yesterday.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Luke found another one of the 6 side Hexagonal crystals with the blue green in it yesterday.

Can we see a pic of it? This is a really cool thread! Maybe what you have there is that rare g-freemanite! ;) Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we see a pic of it? This is a really cool thread! Maybe what you have there is that rare g-freemanite! ;) Yakker

Hey yakker at least thats a name for it and now I can look it up. LOL. This is a great site to carry on have fun and meet some good folks that like doing the same things. Thanks for reply and I will post a picture of that crystal today if the sun will shine.

Upvote 0

Rprimm

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey G Freeman, Where are you finding this in Virginia? And is it in a creek, or are you just digging anywhere?
My family has some property in Amelia county and I'm just trying to figure out if we have anything cool that I could dig for. The property has some flat land, big hills, a swamp, a few streams that flow into a decent sized creek. Some places there are lots of mountain rocks (don't know what else to call them, being in Virginia you should know what "mountain rocks" I'm talking about)... Also some places with red dirt and lots of mica. It's pretty diverse... Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or tips you have for me for where I could start, thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread