NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used to have a huge collection - with ex-wife
I got half of course - sold a few - gave a bunch away - but kept a few nice ones
here are a few - some are just halves others are both sides
DSCN0555.JPG DSCN0554.JPG
DSCN0544.JPG DSCN0547.JPG
DSCN0548.JPG DSCN0546.JPG

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Hello,
Great collection and if you don't mind me asking, I live in Canada,
And would like to know how do you find and identify geodes? lol
I would be happy to find one and
Do you need a special type of saw to cut them??
Any information would be great and most helpful.

Thanks for sharing your collection and have a good one.

Steve/OU812

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are from mexico - old timer (passed now) used to drive down and pay locals to find them for him
paid them like $5 each no matter on size- and sold them up here by the pound
he would use a large pipe cutter to open them - some use saws but they can damage some of the crystals if not done right
all these were bought unopened - so you would not know what you were buying - I saw people buy some that turned out to be almost solid
or with not much to show inside - I got good at picking them - sure if you do some googling - you can find places where they are known for being found
most are round - have had a few oval and a few peanut shaped ones- the good ones are the ones that look heavy but are lite due to being hollow

Hello,
Great collection and if you don't mind me asking, I live in Canada,
And would like to know how do you find and identify geodes? lol
I would be happy to find one and
Do you need a special type of saw to cut them??
Any information would be great and most helpful.

Thanks for sharing your collection and have a good one.

Steve/OU812

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had experience cutting with both the pipe cutter and saw. I'll take the saw. The pipe cutter isn't the same as the one used to cut steel pipe. The cutter used is for cutting cast iron soil pipe. It has similar cutting wheels but just exerts pressure and doesn't turn like the other. To me it's too crude.
There was a show on Gold Fever once where geodes were being dug out of a soft clay like soil.They said to let the geode dry for a few days and it would harden up. Where I live they are said to be common and found through out the State. NM. I've never found a wild one yet. Many look like baseballs. w/o the stitching.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Largest I had was bout size of a bowling ball - I passed up on a huge one (kicking myself) bout size of a medicine ball
had the darkest purple amethest -large - crystals ive seen in a geode

Upvote 0

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Very cool,
Around where I live, there's a lot shoreline and coastal area so I'm not sure if they can be found around here?
But I'm going to look for sure,
Any advice?? Where and what to look for??

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year in Hendersonville, NC, I overpaid for picking out a few geodes, they let you crack them open yourself( with guidance) Very pretty crystals on the inside, the rock guy got all giddy identifying all the details on the inside, but it was all Greek to me. As I recall, the rocks were imported, as opposed to local pieces.

Upvote 0

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Amazon, they are a few companies that sell them for a not so bad price. Living in S. Louisiana and having a passion for rocks is difficult.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love geodes. I sold a few single halves at my last yard sale. I still have a pair of bookends, few small ones and one that hasn't been cut open yet.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I love geodes. Have large, medium and small. Sitting on my desk is an amethyst geode from Brazil. My favorite. Started collecting them when I was engaged to a geologist(she got her PhD in Oceanography). She collected them and got me into it. I never stopped. Many trips to Mexico and along the Texas border with her to hunt them. Lots of good memories. Your geodes are beautiful...

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scooter268, You have lots of petrified wood in you're state including petrified palm wood which can have a lot of color.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Casper-2,

We have been collecting (buying) Geodes for years. I think they are beautiful and each one is different!

Regards,

Upvote 0

Scooter268

Oct 31, 2012
Houma, La
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Steve- My part, I'm on the delta. Most is just sediment of mud. Geologically speaking, the section of Louisiana I live (Google Lafourche Parish) is relatively young. The most I would ever find is fresh water mollusk (clam) fossils.

I know in the northern portion of the state petrified palm wood and opal (the grainy kind) can be found. My area, to the west, salt domes are one of the geological features of the area. Avery Island, Louisiana had a incident where a drilling rig punctured an active mining salt mine (the dome) and it made a big mess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread