Is this pegmatite?

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit what seems to be a vein of this stuff. does it lead to something better? Pegmatite? Thanks in advance. new bluegreen pointer crystal 016.JPG new bluegreen pointer crystal 016.JPG new bluegreen pointer crystal 019.JPG new bluegreen pointer crystal 020.JPG

Sorry for the pictures not too clear when enlarged but maybe can make them out.

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
It very well could lead to something better. It looks like a variety of Mica (probably Biotite) in your Quartz specimens there. Good sign.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I started digging at top of a hill in hayfield got about 2 feet down hit this stuff seems to be in a plate in the ground wont come out in big pieces but breaks in the ground. Some pieces seems to be pretty transparent. Very hard digging and almost takes a steel brush to get the dirt off of it. Anyway I only got a 5 gallon full to clean. Maybe get it done by springtime.LOL.

Upvote 0

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often a pegmatite deposit will have a quartz core. Crystals will form along the contact of the quartz and the rest of the pegmatite body.

Upvote 0

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is biotite mica. My biotite mica (found in Philly) actually has 8 sides, like a stop sign. And I have never seen any mica associated with quartz or calcite,, like you have.
The first thing I would do is drop a weak acid on the druze at the bottom of the first sample. There looks like pyrite too,,, maybe gold but without physically testing,, I can't tell.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Biotite is commonly associated with Quartz here in our region; the host is Biotite Gneiss. Mica can form crystals like you're talking about, but it is more commonly found as an associated mineral to the granites and gneiss of this region.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread