possible jasper find? maybe agate.

supra8892

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
racine wi
looking at a few of my picks off the beach from summer and this one stood out to me for the banding and wax look to it that screams agate to me but its not translucent any input would be great. could be jasper

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely agate; the "banding" is distinct. Looks like one from the Great Lakes area. Nice find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

supra8892

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
racine wi
thanks for the reply! yes its was found in racine wisconsin. i live a block from the beach so im sifting throught the rocks quite often! new to the actually finding things lol. usually just pick up cool rocks now i know what to look for i dont know if there is jasper in the area. but the only reason i didnt think it was an agate is because it is not translucent at all i figured that it would be at least on the edges i wounder what it looks like in the middle... is it worth trying to split in half

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be cut depending on it's size by a lapidary artist. The Lake Superior area agates are coveted by many collectors. -Luke

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jasper is typically reserved for opaque Chalcedony that is red, to brown-yellow in color. Yours has enough significant lighter tones and definitive banding that I would consider it an agate. It's the typical color range of the Lake area agates.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions