TOURMALINE?

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like it and there is a mine just over the hill (about 3 mi)

TOURMALINE 1.jpg TOURMALINE 2.jpg TOURMALINE 3.jpg

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the tourmaline that I have around here is in crystals. I'm near Martinsville, VA. Where are you at? steve

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. Although the lines look similar to tourmaline they seem to be too rough, more like striations. Let the pro's DD and EU chime in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right close to you, in Ferrum Steve. I've not seen any crystals of tourmaline from what I understand, it's not common for it to be in crystals.

It's not as rough at it looks in the picture Mr. Lee, actually it's rather smooth. Took the picture to highlight the way it's formed.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pro's here ;) Just a bunch of rock hounds.

Tourmaline usually is crystalline and that is its most identifying feature Shaman :) Mr Lee's signature pic is a good example of what to look for when identifying tourmaline though the most common forms are black in color. What I'm seeing is a quartz specimen with lateral striations that put me in mind of agate. However because the crystals are so large it does not fall under agate~ more of a compressed and layered rock crystal formation. That you have clean breaks and a smooth surface lends to compressed rock crystal.
Your showing ya have a good eye though :) Tourmaline will look similar to that when its broken and in large pieces.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaman, I live near Fairystone Park, about 15 miles from Ferrum. I sent you a PM with my phone number.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Shaman, I live near Fairystone Park, about 15 miles from Ferrum. I sent you a PM with my phone number.

We're pretty local to each other, I'm at the North base of Bull Mountain, was born when my father was a ranger at Fairystone State Park.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread