My Grandfathers Ellensburg Blue and rock Collection

Lindamc

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather's Ellensburg Blue and rock Collection

My grandfather was a rock hound in the 40's and 50's. He lived in Ellensburg, WA. When my father passed I inherited my grandfathers collection. I found one jar labelled ellensburg blue agate. I don't know what to do with them. They've been in the jar on his old cabinet in my living room for the last 12 years. I'll include some photos and also a copy of a 1952 article in the paper interviewing my grandpa about his hobby.

I'd love to hear thoughts on my collection. Thanks! image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of this material on ebay, you can look it up there and look at completed listings or sold listings to see what it has been going for. If you like the prices you see you could sell it there. It is a popular stone for lapidaries. Let us see some of the other rocks he found!!

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
You inherited a "treasure" in many aspects. I personally wouldn't part with any of that. Beautiful collection!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lindamc

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! I don't think I could part with it. I really think it's beautiful and have it all on display in my living room. I also have some of the old jewelry making pieces and an old price guide for them. My collection as a whole is really neat!

The cabinet itself is lovely. I Found out it was from the Seattle hospital. After I brought it home and was loading the rocks I saw something way in the back of it. I pulled out a letter of recommendation for someone applying for a job at the hospital dated 1919. There was also a wooden handled scalpel and hypodermic needles! I have included these items in the pictures below.

I took pictures of each shelf and drawers and a few of the other items from his collection I have out. I have no idea what any of it is other than the few things he had labelled and are still intact after all these years.

I would love some knowledge about these pretty things I posess. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful collection and love the way you display them. I don't know a lot about stones, gems and such but collect the pretty ones too. My late husband was a "rock hound" and so am I and our boys. After he passed I went through his "rocks" trying to come up with a display idea. I have flower pots full of Almandine garnets local to my area that he mined and it looks like potato displays lol There are a few of those geode slices and even some fossils. Anyway, your display is awesome and gives me an idea on how to display our inherited rocks.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing us the rest!! The cabinet is a real sweet piece. I see a bunch of different petrified wood pieces in the collection. A bunch of thunder eggs, and some geodes or geode slices. Pretty much what WA and OR rockhounds find. My grandfather was an Oregon rockhound and found many similar rocks.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather was a rock hound in the 40's and 50's. He lived in Ellensburg, WA. When my father passed I inherited my grandfathers collection. I found one jar labelled ellensburg blue agate. I don't know what to do with them. They've been in the jar on his old cabinet in my living room for the last 12 years. I'll include some photos and also a copy of a 1952 article in the paper interviewing my grandpa about his hobby.

I'd love to hear thoughts on my collection. Thanks! View attachment 1111582 View attachment 1111582

View attachment 1111583

View attachment 1111584

View attachment 1111585

Real cool Lindamc. Very very cool.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
We will be glad to help you identify any specimens you have an interest in. Just take photos of individual specimens up close so we can see different characteristics and help you identify them. That's quite a collection and I'm sure this is only a part of what he came across in his days of rockhounding, collecting, etc!

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Welcome and Thanks for the show ;) Your grand dad had a keen eye for beautiful rocks- and you've done an excellent job displaying them. I'm looking forward to seeing a few individual specimens up close- and to learn what they are too :thumbsup: Thanks again Lindamc Yakker

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hope my collection pass's on the way yours has :) I'm sure someone is smiling on ya. Very nice stuff. Thanks.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
since you are local, this is not a stretch for you....

J. Chapa Hernandez | Fine Jewelry | Bellevue, WA

take your blues to this guy. He is in Bellevue on Main street. He is very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable about blues, he actually lived and hunted the area for many years. People drop by with stuff all the time. His shop is more like a museum than a jewelry shop. He will let you know what you have, EBAY is FULL of fake blues, this guy knows the difference. You may have thousands of dollars in gem quality blues there, he can tell you. (he is also a buyer)...plus if you get him to talking, his stories are fantastic.

i mean THOUSANDS potentially....but is has to be "just right"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread