A 20lb rock under blacklight turns pink.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the pictures are not that good but wanted to show the color pink or pinkish red under blacklight. This rock is at least as hard as quartz and the green in it came out as blue. Don't know what it is made of but sparkles all over in regular light, thanks for looking. Steves new car and rock with black light 013.JPG Steves new car and rock with black light 014.JPG Steves new car and rock with black light 018.JPG Steves new car and rock with black light 022.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BruntBear, this is the rock I showed you that I had in the truck if you remember. Had the green in it and you said it looked like Aquamarine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah BB it sure is a neat color and I am not sure what caused it. The black light does seem to put that color and shine that color anyway. So it just might be the color of the black light causing it to be that color. Is that possible? Thanks. Any way I am still learning.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the coloration I can see is due to the black light itself. The pinks are probably calcite or a closely related calcium mineral. I'm not sure on the blue your reporting unless there is a combination of some sort occurring with the stones actual coloration and green fluorescence which some crystalline quartz does exhibit under shortwave. My thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DDancer for your thoughts and it helps a lot. I am still trying to figure out a lot of things and the reasons it is like it is. Now its time for more research.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you using a filter over the camera? I definitely see bright pink little crystals in photos 2 & 3 you posted. Those are probably calcium-related as DDancer stated. That specimen is so unique. I have a good feeling if you find a pegmatite on your property; you're probably going to find some Beryl specimens. It's more plausible than not. Beryl specimens have been unearthed in far more localities than the general Spruce Pine and Hiddenite mining districts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah BB it is unique and no about the filter over the camera. As far as calcite goes it is only 3 on Moh's scale and I can't scratch this specimen with quartz so it must be at least 7 on Moh's scale for hardness. Like I said buddy more research. What kind of filter do I need to go over the camera? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the coloration I can see is due to the black light itself. The pinks are probably calcite or a closely related calcium mineral. I'm not sure on the blue your reporting unless there is a combination of some sort occurring with the stones actual coloration and green fluorescence which some crystalline quartz does exhibit under shortwave. My thoughts.
Good info, DD. The green under short wave, in quartz, is usually caused by uranium.
Jim

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the flashlight style black light and was wondering if you had any recommendations, thanks any ways.
If you do a lot of searching. You can get a longwave and a shortwave bulb then put them in a battery coleman lantern. Price if you can find a used lantern on Craigs list is around $19. Gives you the ability to switch between both wavelengths or if you mod the switch you can use both. I did a post on this a ways back. Been using this for searching buildings for wall pendants for years. Please do a little research on safety for your eyes, glasses are cheaper than smoked retinas.

Cool trick from the 60s! Stay in a room with your blacklight for a half hour or so. Then walk out into normal light. Everythings green. Wow! Farm out! Right arm, outta state man. (In my best Cheech Marin voice.):laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey boogeyman good advice and thanks for the info. I had just got into this blacklight stuff and thanks for your reply and help. Maybe I will get there.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Boogeyman, I somehow survived the 60's and could never spend a half hour with a black light. Do you have any other alternatives? Inagottadavetta!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco oro, Sure is good to hear from you again. Sure have missed you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread