diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a rock. Measures approx. 2 in. long. Has a glass like, polished sheen to it, semi opaque. Actual color is closest to the last two photos. Possibly something from the ocean? No idea of origin. Found in a junk drawer at an estate sale.

DSC09597.jpg DSC09598.jpg DSC09600.jpg DSC09605.jpg DSC09606.jpg DSC09607.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Burntbear got it in one :)

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it was tumbled. They form like this and the "skin" look varies quite a bit from smooth, like yours; to a rough texture like the link I posted. I think your specimen may have been handled by a few hands over time and smoothed out. Awesome specimen! There aren't many around.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it was tumbled. They form like this and the "skin" look varies quite a bit from smooth, like yours; to a rough texture like the link I posted. I think your specimen may have been handled by a few hands over time and smoothed out. Awesome specimen! There aren't many around.
Thanks for the added information. I had no idea what this was. I thought it came out of the ocean or something.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Since it probably came from an Estate Sale in Florida, I was thinking it was possibly Agatized Coral but I agree that BurntBear hit it on the nail's head! Beautiful stuff that would make some truly beautiful and artful sculptures of humans!

Frank

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing little piece! Never seen or heard about anything like that before- thanks for the show:thumbsup: Yakker

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I saw that material was in at a rock shop in Tucson :) If its still there the guy had a small box of them. They were unusual enough I had to ask and it was explained to me that he had made them by tumbling chalcedony nodules. I have a couple in the box's somewhere ;) He also had copper uglies~ large copper crystals that had formed in the tailings pond of one of the local copper mines. I have to see if that shop is still there when I'm in Tucson next. Kino's rock shop I believe it was... off of Nogales highway near the airport.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread