Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that it is! It looks like a lot of the poorly formed and fractured Aquamarine I used to find at the Ray Mica Mine just outside of Burnsville, North Carolina.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jim Coulthard

Mar 18, 2014
Box Elder, SD
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this from a friend who cleans houses that are taken back by the bank. He gets to keep anything he finds in the house and he is always selling me coins and rocks he finds in the houses. The bank just wants the house so anything else he finds he gets to keep.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say Huntsman is correct. The faceting, color and fractures are indicative of low grade Aqua.

I did house muck outs for the banks for a while as well~ word of advice: Its illegal to report that you've dumped the contents of the house and keep them for resale. Just don't get caught and certainly don't pick anything up till the contract is signed and the clean out has occurred... that's theft if the owners ever come back for it.
Probably wont affect you but your friend *who should be aware* is treading a thin line. My thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jim Coulthard

Mar 18, 2014
Box Elder, SD
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding in my state the house and its contents belong to the bank for non payment of the loan. And if the bank allows the cleaners to keep anything as part of there wages it is legal. I think this would be the same as storage units. In the storage units does the personal belongings still belong to the owner after the auction or sale of such items in the unit? Is it thief to buy them? I myself do not work anymore. The hardest decision I make anymore is do I got rock hunting or trout fishing today. I think each state might have different laws and rules. I know out here we have laws about where you can and can't rock hunt even on public lands. Jim P.S. I am going trout fishing today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storage units fall under a different set of rules than does house hold property~ so storage auctions are very much legit. There is no similarity between storage units and house's being cleaned out due to foreclosure.

Yep depends on the state and its procedures for abandoned property. Banks also have their rules when it comes to contents of a home and those follow the state as well as internal process's. Some state and bank policies require items over 500 dollars in value be surrendered or stored pending disposition. Example: I had two houses to muck, one the bank did not care about the contents however photographic evidence was required for pick up and delivery to the land fill or payment would not be made. Second the bank required all contents to be documented, photographed and a return order was supplied for items to be stored~ the owners had finally contacted the bank just as I was about to muck it out. (That one was a mess... had I not gotten the call we would have been liable for the entire contents of the house or any part there of.) Those situations could have landed me and my boss in trouble had any picking occurred. In most cases it did not matter just so long as the job was done.

I only floated that advice because I have dealt with this kind of thing and would not want anyone to run into trouble with such activities. It can be a nightmare. There is likely no harm in what you or your friend are doing but it is wise to know. That's all I'm saying. Back to rocks. :)
Hope you catch a stringer :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

rrhobdy

Greenie
Dec 9, 2014
Knightdale, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It does appear to be aquamarine.. You might do the specific gravity and scratch test to narrow down the choices some.

Upvote 0

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it is aquamarine too... Some might call it 'blue beryl'. I think that they call it blue beryl when the grade/clarity it poor, and when it is high grade/clear, then the name aquamarine is used. But what is blue beryl... Aquamarine right?!?!?!?

Upvote 0

dragonsoldier

Jan 24, 2015
central alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this state as well as many others, once we execute an eviction order (following a court order) we physically (if capable) remove all personal belongings and put them on the curbside and technically after 24hrs the belongings are fair game, but there are always people parked across the street waiting like vultures. You won't find anyone around here that would prosecute you for taking a "rock". Also most foreclosures are controlled by out of state banks. "No representation of/for the victim no crime. 18 years of experience Lol

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to derail this Thread anymore but think most Storage Unit Auctions are illegal or could be contested in a Court of Law because of the processes to sell the contents, IMHO, does not follow "Due Process of the Law". I have been to Storage Unit Auctions and have even won the contents of Storage Units where you can tell the contents apparently belonged to elderly folks. Was this person put into a Nursing Home or other similar facility or did they die and this is the reason for non-payment of the rental of the Storage Unit?? No one seems to find out why, nor do most of them care and these folk's property are sold, again IMHO, without "Due Process"! It seems that some of the contents in some of these Storage Units would be considered under Probate Law due to them being part of an Estate that has not been settled. I think it is just a matter of time before someone realizes this or already has and takes Storage Facility companies to court over such matters and especially so, if the contents of certain Storage Units have been sold, the items cleaned out and are gone. If I am wrong in my thinking, then please, someone enlighten or correct me. We see all too often on Television, the Internet and from local Newspapers where Storage Unit' contents have been sold for a little of nothing and the items inside were worth a fortune, cleaned out and resold by the persons or companies that won the Auction for the contents. Did the family or Trustee of a person's Estate know of this Storage Unit, it's contents and their' value?? I believe not, so where is/was the "Due Process"? Shouldn't the Storage Facility companies be required to notify the families or Trustees and not just place Ads in local Newspapers about the upcoming Storage Unit's contents are going to be sold at Auction on a specific Date?? I believe there should be some better "Process of Law" because it is highly unlikely that the families of these folks or the Trustees of their' Estates will see the Ads in the local Newspapers. These Ads are usually only seen by the folks that are always looking for Storage Units where the rental is in default and the contents are going to be sold at auction and maybe a few others.

Just my thoughts!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh... I'm really regretting having said anything at all. No worries. Note to self : Stick to rocks. :) It is a nice stone and I'd grade it as a beryl at a minimum.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh... I'm really regretting having said anything at all. No worries. Note to self : Stick to rocks. :) It is a nice stone and I'd grade it as a beryl at a minimum.

Legal BS is a can of worms . You're good at rocks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread