725.3 KB · Views: 90

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashman, I been getting a lot of Hexagonal crystals out and wonder where the rest of it is. That is a really nice crystal. HH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You.

Here is a question and please keep in mind I am new to all this. Is there a way to remove crystals like this one from the host rock or is that something that you just don't do.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is it's a quartz point that didn't grow further. A nice piece for your collection.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cutting away the base material is the safest way. Otherwise careful chipping away of the base material will reduce the size of the specimen with the potential of damaging it. Such points are better left as found from a collectors point of view as it shows natural growth. A conversation piece and something you can study to understand the dynamics of crystal growth.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashman, believe DDancer point is right on or my wife when we first started she would find a rock like yours and she would hold it over her head and throw it to the ground and throw herself farther than the rock and I ask what are you doing and she got the little crystal from the ground in about 100 pieces and said I just wanted to get this out of it. LOL. Yeah I can see the crystal in your rock but its really hard to get them out.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Cutting away the base material is the safest way. Otherwise careful chipping away of the base material will reduce the size of the specimen with the potential of damaging it. Such points are better left as found from a collectors point of view as it shows natural growth. A conversation piece and something you can study to understand the dynamics of crystal growth.

I agree to leave it alone! Besides, the crystal grew somewhat oddly probably due to being under some weight pressure as well as heat when it grew. Because of the way it grew, it would be hard to determine where the hidden portions of the crystal are laying inside the host rock and chiseling could fracture a hidden portion of it which could then cause the rest of the crystal to fracture.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I should just give it a bath and stick on my shelf as my first decent crystal. Thank you all for your input. I went out walking and driving around today looking at some new areas to play in. Had a blast and took a lot pictures.

111.jpg

333.jpg

2222.jpg

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you carry a rock pick, regular pick and Gold Prospecting equipment with you to take samples, do some panning and also do some rock crushing when you get back home and pan the powder out to see if there is any Gold in it! Those locations look great for not only great rock specimens but also Gems and Gold...especially the Quartz veins and mineralization in the last pic. The other two locations look very promising as well.

Frank

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool specimen! Just the fact you are finding terminated crystals that are intact is a good sign!

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice specimen and great addition to your collection.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck thats a quartz crystal. Sapphire and corundum's have a different geometry when it comes to points and thier planes. Welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread