Incredible Smoky Pocket!

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all! I am very new to the whole prospecting thing but I've had some very early success. Yesterday I unearthed a massive smoky quartz pocket in the foothills of NC. In 3 hours or so we managed to pull nearly 60-70 fine quality smokies (including a MASSIVE point as well as two beautiful clusters shown below) from an area no bigger than a dinner table. I plan to return to the spot this coming weekend to continue digging and I am very interested to know if there could be any other precious gems that I should be on the lookout for in the pocket. If so, what should be my plan of action? Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 129

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are outstanding specimens! You need to just keep digging! I'd be looking for Beryl. Any Mica around?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful to cover and camoflauge the discovery before leaving each time. Also, if this deposit is in the National Forest, check the rules on daily limits of removal of minerals but I believe it is 35 pounds. Also, definitely only use tools and manual labor to remove any Gems and Crystals. A fellow from New York found a large deposit of Adventurine while prospecting for Rubies and Sapphires in the Smaragdite on Chunky Gal Mountain just off the highway from Franklin to Hayesville. He got too greedy, brought in some folks to help and used Dynamite to get it out. He and his helpers were caught delivering a large load of the Adventurine to Importers from Japan at a dock on the coast and he, his helpers and the Importers went to prison.

Frank

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
WHOA, that is amazing, that is a dream come true right there, The size of the crystals is ridiculous, i can only make a quick post atm, but id recommend moving slowly and cover up your holes when your gone. Work around whatever your trying to extract with at least 3-6 inches of safety space so that you dont actually hit what your extracting with your tools and damage the crystals.

That is all elestial smokey quartz, The first point is an insane specimen

There is a good chance, there is ameythst there, citirine, ametrine, and clear quartz, possible beryl, and schrol tourmaline, those are all founds in the NC mining areas, If i can help with more info ill see what i can do

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great hunter! We have a lot of smoky here too. (SW Virginia). Still trying to find beryl, but not sure I would know it if I tripped over it. :dontknow: We also have a lot of mica.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely got a honey hole there :thumbsup: There is a good possibility of other gems there. Beryl, feldspar, topaz are possibilities. Just keep an eye out for faceted materials or materials that appear clear or gemmy. Excellent quartz like that is often found in conjunction with these types of gems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome Find!
Nothing like that around my area, lots of gold though.
Glad i stumbled apon your post. Fed and state are tough here, i'd defanatly be clear on your rockhounding/gem collecting daily take limits. Its 35lbs a day like huntsman said in the Klamath National forest that i live in.
Happy Days - Happy Hunting!
AjR

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! And valuable! That is definitely the find of the week!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MrLee! Finding the pocket was quite an experience! Do you have an idea as to how valuable pieces like these are?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks MrLee! Finding the pocket was quite an experience! Do you have an idea as to how valuable pieces like these are?

You can get an idea as to the value by comparing your' large specimens to this small one that sold on eBay. The larger and nicer the specimens are, the values or prices that they fetch, go up exponentially.

Frank

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going! Can't wait to see what you pull next ;) And maybe a pic or two of your crystals in sunlight? Just to show off the color and such. Cheers- and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread