gem hunting on the east coast...any thoughts

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm trying to organize a long weekend trip to do some gem hunting. I live in Pennsylvania and it doesn't appear that my state has any good gem/mineral hunting that I've found. I've looked into the trip down to Hiddenite N.C. for some emerald hunting but found reviews saying it is mostly "salted/seeded" by the staff and the ability to do real hounding isn't possible. I'm open to any suggestions as so far the internet has let me down on solid leads. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
N

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh and when I say Hiddenite, I mean Hiddenite Gems Inc. How could I get hooked up with a place that allows actual digging like the Sharpes post?

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to dig in Hiddenite in particular, I suggest joining M.A.G.M.A. ($15 yearly membership) to get access to a real dig site. I have serious doubts you can find good access elsewhere. The township of Hiddenite has a rich gem mining history and the locals are well aware of what the ground has in it and from what I've read; they are not particular to letting people access and dig on their property. That's not to say that it can't be done if you get to know someone.

If you join M.A.G.M.A., you have access to a mine site that sits directly across the street from the famed Adams Mine. Coming from someone who lives nearby and digs there; that is my best suggestion! -Luke

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxford County Maine is probably #1 on the East Coast right now. Check it out on the internet.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Graves Mountain in Lincolnton N.C. for rutile, quartz crystal and lots more and a few miles away in Abbeville, N.C. is Diamond Hill Crystal Mine where you can dig Clear and Smokey Quartz Crystal and even some Amethyst for $15 a day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BurntBear, thank you for the recommendation for joining M.A.G.M.A. It appears to be worth a $15 membership to have real access to digging in Beryl rich soil. Smokey, I'll need to start researching Oxford County. What's the ease of access to A+ sites in Maine when the season starts?

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
PA is kinda rough to collect in, lots of sites but little access, There are areas though, and if you can get land permission there is definitely sights out there.

The spots mentioned already are a good start, there is also the Diamond hill mine in SC they are pretty good apparently.

Google East coast pay to dig sights, and that should get you a good start, you gotta sift through the sites though depending on what your looking todo. Some places are salted and some do seem more like tourist traps.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BurntBear, thank you for the recommendation for joining M.A.G.M.A. It appears to be worth a $15 membership to have real access to digging in Beryl rich soil. Smokey, I'll need to start researching Oxford County. What's the ease of access to A+ sites in Maine when the season starts?

MAGMA also controls Crabtree Emerald Mine in Spruce Pine so that's another opportunity for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your help. I've submitted my request to join M.A.G.M.A. and can't wait to get knee deep in dirt!

Upvote 0

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NormalNovice are you allowed to dig or be a rock hound in areas of your state that are considered state land like a state forest or I saw where you have a few areas that are considered state game land, etc... ?

Sorry I live on the west coast and I not sure about the laws of your state.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashman, I did some quick research and didn't find anything stating specifically that state games lands didn't allow mineral/gem collecting. Unfortunately Pennsylvania is rather limited in respects to gems. I have a nice patch of quartz crystals in my yard (under some snow at the moment). I'll post some pictures after the thaw.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennsylvania has some really cool mineral specimens! Is there a particular gem you're really wanting to hunt? -Luke

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you come down for an adventure in the Hiddenite, NC area, you might also want to spend a day at the old Ray Mica Mine not too far outside of Burnsville. You can find Aquamarine, Golden Beryl, Morganite and Clear Beryl there as well as Amazonite, Moonstone, Garnets (mostly specimen types heavy in Iron) and other gems and rock specimens. There is also Chunky Gal Mountain not far off the highway between Franklin and Hayesville. You can find mainly White and Pinkish Sapphires there along with some Rubies, Adventurine as well as Smaragdite with Adventurine and Quartz with Adventurine specimens that are Cabachon worthy. There are quite a few other free locations but the majority of locations are pay to play mines and quite a few of these are salted mines.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So really if I'm looking to dig a wide variety the NC trip should be able a week long. I guess What I'm really hoping to do Is dig some sapphires. In fact since I've started to research this trip my wife has requested I find a nice light blue sapphire. I'm always up for a challenge!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding a light blue Sapphire WILL be a challenge!

These are the highest quality blueish Sapphires I've ever seen documented from N.C.

http://www.mindat.org/photo-14344.html

I agree with BurntBear! Decent Blue Sapphires are hard to find in North Carolina, although they do exist as one of the largest known was found in the French Broad River around Asheville (I believe) by someone who was Scuba Diving in the river there. Even harder, is trying to find a place to prospect for them for free and find a Pay Mine that is not salted. There is a lot of information just a few clicks away by using Google or another Search Engine. Look for stories where folks went and what they found as these are sometimes the best sources. There are Gems found in North Carolina along most of the entire stretch of the Piedmont, the Blue Ridge and West towards the spine of the Appalachians but they can also be found elsewhere in North Carolina. The rocks, minerals and gems in these areas have been eroding out for many millions of years and also due to decomposing rocks. What once were mighty mountains that stood 5 to 6 miles tall due to Volcanoes and the upheaval, now only stand from around 2,000 feet to just over 6,000 feet tall. While a vast majority of gems, Gold and other minerals eroded out many millions of years ago and may no longer be obtainable due to the depths they are likely buried at, more and more of these continue to erode out today and can be found in creeks, streams and rivers as well as in the ground in some areas.

Good luck!

Frank

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
An often overlooked fact about North Carolina is that while it is only a little over 1/4 the size of Thailand (one of the World's top gem producing countries), it probably has more gems in and on it's grounds than most countries in the whole world. Not only does North Carolina have more variety of gems but it is unfathomable to think what it lost! As the enormous Volcanoes and mountains eroded away over some 60 to 100 million years, a vast majority of it's gems, gold, silver and much more were washed into streams and rivers and eventually washed out to sea. There are untold amounts of riches laying below the ocean's floor off the coast of North Carolina. Also, vast amounts of these were also buried under hundreds and probably thousands of feet of overburden due to erosion of the Volcanoes and mountains and due to flooding and is most likely inaccessible.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions