Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of saw is used to cut rocks??
As in... I want to cut some of these rocks in half or long ways to see more...
What is the saw called, and where can these be purchased??
Thanks for your replies..

. Birds,bricks,chalcedony 009.JPG 001.JPG

Bb3264

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wet tile saw works great I've used it on several of my rocks and it's so safe it's so hard to cut yourself on that thing it's awesome

Upvote 0

Bb3264

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a place that you might be able to get one is maybe Harbor freight or Home Depot

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Slab saws. They can be bought for $$$. Smaller stuff like you show can be cut with a tile wet saw. I converted a 10" tile wet saw by replacing the blade with a thin diamond slab saw blades and using an emulsion as a lubricant. Made several rock vices to hold on to the rock. works okay. I've seen some that were made by some very good mechanics but that takes both tools and knowledge.
There are some small six or seven inch wet saws made for slabbing small rocks and other cheaper ones for cutting tile. The tile saws should have the blade replaced with a thinner one.
Third alternative is have a rock/mineral store that has a slab saw. They charge by the inch. Some lapidary clubs co-op their equipment and experience.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add a caution.... some of the internal structure *especially the ones on the right* looks pretty fragile and you may do more harm than good cutting. If you have a rock club or lapidary club in the area you'd best be served to visit them and get opinions. Its nice stuff and I'd hate for you to feel bad if the cuts destroy the pieces.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What works best and actually splits the whole round ones is a steady hand and a geology hammer. Wear goggles. That stuff has a hardness of about 3 or so. Soft. Tough to cut with a saw. Falls apart. Alamo Rock Shop could help you or the Rock Shop in New Braunfels, although they both cost money.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A wet tile saw works great I've used it on several of my rocks and it's so safe it's so hard to cut yourself on that thing it's awesome

Thanks everyone!!
I am a do-it- yourselfer person... so, I will start with the biggest rock there. I will also talk with someone at a rock shop...
I appreciate it very much!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread