Found these green rocks in two different locations, the look painted ?

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I was out walking in an area I was looking at that I saw on the map. I came across these green rocks here in the pictures. At first I was all excited thinking I had found something really different. Then the more I looked at them the more I started to think that maybe someone had just throw down a half a bucket of painted rocks, odd thought but they just seem to green looking I guess. Taking a guess there were maybe 40 to 50 at the most lying around.

Well then today happens.

Today I walked an area that had very little foot traffic compared to the place I walked last Sunday. When I was I walking up to the top on this hill I just happen to look down and what do I see some more of these green rocks?

The two areas are maybe a half mile from each other as the crow flies and more than a mile by road. I did soak a few in a bucket with some water and a little bit of bleach to see if it was a mold of some sort and the rocks never faded or the green stay the same.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

gr1.JPG gr1a.JPG gr2.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It is copper ore. Wet a finger, touch it and if the finger adheres to it, it contains copper. Old timers licked them to see if his tongue stuck a bit. Cool find though...

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried breaking some up to see if the color goes thru the stone?
If it does do a streak test and figure out how hard it is.

Off the top of my head it could be malachite however it appears to uniform and if there are no copper deposites in the area. *shrugs* They look more like dyed quartz to me. I'd like to know what the tests and breakage show.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of possiblities of what the green rocks are but my best guesses which could in all liklihood be wrong are the following: I was leaning towards poorly formed Phengite but now believe that they are possibly purer forms of Smaragdite or Zoisite both of which primarily get their' green color from Chromium. If it is Smaragdite or Zoisite, then it is likely that there are larger deposits nearby to where they were found and these deposits may or may not contain some form of Sapphires or Rubies as they are often associated with these.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know I am about as new to all this as one can be but this really makes no sense at all why someone would drop green painted rocks in two different odd places.

The green area on the cloth these rocks are sitting on is the result of me using rubbing alcohol on them The color starting rubbing right off. Then when I broke these open nothing on the inside even comes close to a green color.

Has to be painted, right ???

I am sorry, I feel like I wasted everyone's time who took the time to respond and/or read this post. I would have never thought anything different except for when I found a second set of these rocks in a completely different area so far away from the first location that I found the original ones. My sister inlaw says maybe someone was using them to mark something for whatever reason.

gr-1.JPG gr-2.JPG

Below are some of the other rocks I picked up yesterday while I was out walking around. The one looks like a face so I named it my angry rock and it sitting on my work bench looking down at me, lol...

f1bb.JPG - f1.JPG - f2.JPG

f3.JPG - f4.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
From viewing the other pics, they sure did not look like they were painted but if not paint, maybe some type of fungus. I really don't know! If you determine for certain that they are painted, then they might just have been some type of marker and you might want to take them back to where you found them. If you do, look around to see if they mark trails or possibly a mine.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Huntsman I really do believe they were painted. As far as taking them back I had only removed at the most 3 to 4 from the last location and less then 10 from the first location. So if they were marking something there are still plenty on the ground for someone to find there mark.

Glad you mention that. note to self...

I had not really thought far enough a head about the fact I may have been messing up someones scavenger hunt or who knows.

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what's up with the green rocks, lol. That's so strange.

Those are some nice finds man! I do believe you hit some nice Schorl Tourmaline.

q.jpg

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) All you can do is ask. Huntsman makes a pretty good point about markers. Green is an unusual selection though.

BurntB appears to have identified one of your stones and the one you feel has a face looks to have tourmaline in it as well. All in all some nice massive quartz with good mineralization. Looks like the area is worth a going over.

Upvote 0

omurcelik

Mar 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi... iam not expert but i can say you are on treasure land.... third picture i dont care greens but near that i see plutonic origin rock ...
then i see schorl and altered crystalline rock might be garnet on it.. rocks of plutonic origin maybe pegmatite or pegmatoid ...
these rocks indicating low-mid temperature vs pressure alteration...gemstones tourmaline garnet disthene maybe emerald also a lot of semi precious stones can be found your area good luck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread