Where to look in Basalt?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Newbie rockhound here, I just read Gems and Minerals of Washington and it mentioned possibility of precious opal being located in the basalt formations of Moses Coulee. I was bored yesterday so I decided me and my friend would just go look around there. After tromping around for an hour or so I concluded that I really have no idea about where to start looking for these opals. Out of all the chunks of broken basalt at the base of the cliffs and stuff I never saw a trace of anything other than plain old basalt. So where would I need to go to look for these things or what clues do I look for? Would they be at the very top of the coulee, in the columns, or in the really bubbly stuff?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owen, it seems to me most opal is found in close proximity to petrified wood. Find the remnants of an ancient lake bed. Check out fractures and fissures of course . G/L

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys.
most opal is found in close proximity to petrified wood
makes sense. We did find two small pieces of petrified wood so I guess we're not to far off from something.
Find the remnants of an ancient lake bed
Look on the surface, or between layers of basalt flows?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The tricky thing is, opal can form in several ways. SO before you guys start confusing each other, get the book "Prospecting For gemstones and minerals" By John Sinkankas.

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread