Holy Green Tourmaline on Smoky Quartz Batman!

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this beauty showed up at my friend Mike's booth across from me at the VVGMS show and brought his two current owners with him.
IMG_1528.jpg
The owners claimed they had "inherited it" and due to financial hardship were looking to sell it. They did not look the part of high end mineral collectors, but everyone was too enamored to question their story. They were willing to take $8,000 for it and me and my neighbors were frantically trying to figure out what we could mortgage or sell, my kids would make excellent indentured servants.They did mention it had come out of the Sullivan collection. I'm not familiar with this gentleman, but I am currently researching him as the mystery continues.
IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1523.JPG
Alas, we had to settle for photos of it as well as a once in a blue moon chance to hold it and dream of what could have been.

Has anyone seen this before? Two, beer can sized green tourmalines on smokey quartz, a Fosters and a Sierra Nevada.

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a monster! If it were mine, I would have an L.E.D. light under it on display for sure.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome specimen and probably worth 3 or more times that price! I wonder if the Sullivan they are referring to is actually John Sullivan and Mrs. Henry Sullivan known for the John L. Gold Mine http://www.minecache.com/showdetails/10163741!!?? While there are some Geologists named Sullivan, this John Sullivan and Mrs. Henry Sullivan are the one's that I would expect to have collected such specimens.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread