BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been utilizing the specific gravity method for testing minerals and aiding in identification. I tested some "curious"-looking specimens from the dig in Hiddenite, N.C. recently. I had set aside several of these Quartz-looking specimens that had different characteristics (striations, luster, texture). These specimens read significantly higher on the S.G. tests than Quartz. They read the same as my Emeralds and other Beryl specimens. So, I believe I stumbled across some Goshenite/Yellow Beryl and didn't even know it. Here are a few photos. I'll add more photos of the others I found when I get a chance.

126_4921.JPG 126_4922.JPG 126_4928.JPG

126_4974.JPG 126_4975.JPG 126_4979.JPG

126_4982.JPG 126_4985.JPG

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The luster, structure and fracturing might be topaz BB. I've had several samples like that out of hiddenite myself. The higher density is a good clue. Nice stuff and large :)

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luke, those are AMAZING and yeah SG tells more because I thought everything I had was quartz and if SG is a good indicator then I am thinking different lately. You have found some great specimens.

Glen.

Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful stuff!!! Freeman, I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't in the same boat. I need to learn on to do specific gravity ???

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The luster, structure and fracturing might be topaz BB. I've had several samples like that out of hiddenite myself. The higher density is a good clue. Nice stuff and large :)

As you probably now Topaz is also harder, the clear topaz I recently found at Treasure Valley, I took to the NC Geological Survey office and they had a quartz crystal and I mentioned the different in hardness and I put a scratch in the quartz crystal with the topaz. So heavier and harder it could possibly be topaz even though it looks a little different from the almost clear topaz I found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've tested many specimens and it is pretty dead on. I've even kept the distilled water in the fridge to maintain proper temperature. I've easily been able to distinguish Quartz, Beryl, Topaz, Garnet, Corundum, Opal, etc. I can accurately test specimens down to about 5-10 carats with this scale. These specimens are reading in the high 2.6-2.7 range. Definitely not Topaz. My Topaz specimens read right around 3.5.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bruntbear, could you tell me a good scale I can get to do SG with. Does yours work with heavier stones as I have two sets of scales one for larger stones and one for smaller stones but really don't trust either one so I just wonder how much I would need to spend to get a scale that is better. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Accurate (enough) results can be achieved through just about any digital scale capable of measuring 1/10th of a gram. Scales capable of measuring 1/100th of a gram will produce even more accurate results because you are getting finer measurements. A 1/10th scale may read 5.1 grams on a reading. The 1/100th may read 5.18; which obviously is much closer to 5.2 than 5.1. This is even more relevant when dividing the measured density from the original specimen weight. Those very slight changes in measurements can have a drastic effect on the calculated result. I hope that helps. Here is a link to digital scales capable of measuring 1/100th:

American Weigh Scales - Digital Scales Wholesale

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then why didn't you say so BB :) If ya have the sg then I've no problem with you thought on the matter. Hahh! But it does raise some doubt for me on my own species that came from there now. *sigh* You've done a harness test for beryl to topaz I expect?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had my doubts that it was Beryl because the only Beryl found at the mine site so far came from the pegmatite and was opaque. The pegmatite has since been worked clean by the previous land owner. We are working layers of Saprolite in hopes of finding new deposits. A friend of mine found an eye-clean, terminated Goshenite crystal. He was working about 20 feet down from me. That's when I started looking through my specimens. We were working a freshly excavated area near the pegmatite and some of this probably floated from the pegmatite. As rich as that land is (directly across from the street from the Adams Hiddenite and Emerald Mine (Alexander prospect; Abernathy prospect; Hiddenite Mine; Warren Mine; Turner Mine), there could be numerous pegmatites. The water source I was digging next to was a drainage from the fields of the Adams Mine. Yes, I chose that spot carefully, lol. I found the waterways weeks before going to the dig.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread