Perthite

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can in no way tell you all of them but PERTHITE is apparently one form of Feldspar that is found at the Ray Mica Mine outside of Burnsville, North Carolina. I have found Aquamarine, Goshenite, some really rough Golden Beryl, Moonstone, Amazonite and Garnets (mostly Grossular) there.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Frank! Thanks, Va survey was done just down the street from us (less than a mile) Said we're most binary perthite. We also have two types of mica, biotite and not sure what the other is. So it's looking promising, there's four beryl mines around here. Need to find out how to identify these things. I know we have smoky, and pink quartz.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perthite is basically K Feldspar, but with perthitic texture. It's a intergrowth of two feldspars, creating a typical pattern, google it.

It's a very common mineral, so I suppose you need to visit the place and limit possible associations.:icon_thumright:
The next piece of the puzzle would be, in what kinda rock does it occur?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Perthite is basically K Feldspar, but with perthitic texture. It's a intergrowth of two feldspars, creating a typical pattern, google it.

It's a very common mineral, so I suppose you need to visit the place and limit possible associations.:icon_thumright:
The next piece of the puzzle would be, in what kinda rock does it occur?

Found in Volcanic Felsic Rocks and is the result of reorganization of Albite from Plagioclase during Potash Feldspar Metasomatism (the chemical alteration of a rock by hydrothermal and other fluids)!

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
occurs on our 5 little acres. We have all kinds of quartz, albite, feldspar, iron, and a lot of things we don't know what the **** they are. I'm thinking after seeing burnt bears post of chalcedony some may be that. Also microcline maybe.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found in Volcanic Felsic Rocks and is the result of reorganization of Albite from Plagioclase during Potash Feldspar Metasomatism (the chemical alteration of a rock by hydrothermal and other fluids)!

Frank

A perthite is an intimate intergrowth of sodic and potassic feldspar resulting from subsolidus exsolution (unmixing of two minerals).
https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/earthsc...cklibrary/viewglossrecord.php?gID=00000000179

I often see it in pegmatites and sometimes in granites. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread