Identify the rock/mineral please

RockofAges

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I am trying to identify both these rocks/minerals. I believe there are quartz crystals on top of the rock. I just do not know what kind of quartz. But I am having trouble identifying the rock underneath/around it. ty for your help.

ROCK3.jpg ROCK1.jpg

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like it was part of an open pocket the way the crystals formed on the top. The back appears to be a granitic host rock. The photos are a little blurry; but that looks like a neat contact point/pocket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RockofAges

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I am trying to identify both these rocks/minerals. I believe there are quartz crystals on top of the rock. I just do not know what kind of quartz. But I am having trouble identifying the rock underneath/around it. ty for your help.

View attachment 1138754 View attachment 1138755

ty for the help... But what could be the cause of the reddish-orangish material that is on parts around the quartz please?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RockofAges

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to take pictures of my entire collection of them in the next day or two... I purchased them at an auction. Several more of around that size, but many of them are much smaller.

Upvote 0

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have already crushed those and gone back for another pick up load :) You got a quartz contact point against granit with lots of iron or manganeeze in the seem. Gold wears an iron hat you know! If your waiting for "X marks the spot" I think you have already found it :)

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never suggest crushing terminated quartz crystals. Any gold, if any, will be minute to the point of wtf? Never destroy a specimen, never clean your coins and never waste your ZPG.

Upvote 0

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never suggest crushing terminated quartz crystals. Any gold, if any, will be minute to the point of wtf? Never destroy a specimen, never clean your coins and never waste your ZPG.
I concur, if I crushed every piece of quartz on matrix I would have lost hundreds of dollars in specimens, with a slim chance of getting any gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions