Agate Hunting - Oregon Coast

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if there are any Oregon Coast members here. I wanted to find out how the beach Agate hunting is going. Aside from the spectacular scenery, I have fond memories of going out agate hunting with the wife & kids near Port Orford in 2009. We had a great time. We are planning to go, weather permitting in the second week of April. We usually end up north to Newport, before our vacation time runs out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an excellent beach, called agate beach. It is not the best trail but if the tides have been in a good mood....you can, as I have, get a 5 gallon bucket of agates. Or, they are buried under the sand.

Otter Point - Gold Beach Oregon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

There is an excellent beach, called agate beach. It is not the best trail but if the tides have been in a good mood....you can, as I have, get a 5 gallon bucket of agates. Or, they are buried under the sand.

Otter Point - Gold Beach Oregon

Outstanding. I appreciate the information Viking & hopefully we can check it out. This beach area appears to be appropriately named. I will get a tide table & use it. The Best to you & your family. Jim W.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OregonBeachGravelBeds/ for latest reports. Agate beach has been sanded in for several years.

Thanks for the reply scepter1 & the Facebook link. I will definitely check the page out. I know there is an Agate Beach in Newport that was sanded in. Are you saying the Agate Beach that Viking was talking about in Gold Beach, is also sanded in?
I just checked out the Oregon Beach Gravel Beds Facebook page. A sincere Thanks for the great info!
Regards, Jim W.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockyroader

Apr 25, 2015
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt mostly between the rough off the road beaches between lincoln city and Newport. depending on how much time you have, go at least an hour or two before the tide lowest point and follow it out....I have found tons of she'll fossils, petrified wood, carnelian, Jasper and a huge variety of colorful agates There. Agate beach is the last place you want to go right now. It's covered in a very thick layer of sand unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread