Strange Rock Found. Need Help!!

Apr 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock by this creek that isn't even a mile away from Lake Erie. It was cool looking with the Water Horse egg look. The rock was very heavy too. When I found it, the rock had a crack straight down in the middle. Since I'm not an expert and I don't collect rocks, I decided to crack it open. Inside I found this black rock with tons of other crystals/rocks inside of it. I'm a research geek so I decided to see what it is. I looked all over online and couldn't find a thing that could help me. My parents said that the black rock is coal. I'm really confused because the crystals inside look exactly like diamonds. My mom and I did research from gems, diamonds, crystals, meteorites. Nothing seems to fit this rock. ???

DSCN0273.JPG DSCN0281.JPG DSCN0283.JPG DSCN0284.JPG DSCN0245.JPG DSCN0263.JPG DSCN0241.JPG DSCN0243.JPG DSCN0265.JPG DSCN0267.JPG

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The exterior suggests that its a pegmatite and the interior that of a basalt origin. Considering the shape its probably a remnant from glaciation in the region. Neat shape.
The exterior shows the most detail. Basically its a conglomeration of large crystals that has survived time to be as you found it.

Upvote 0

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run it through a rock crusher and pan it! If you find free mil gold (which you just mite) hunt it's brothers and sisters. Some pegmatites, especially dark ones, are gold bearing.

Upvote 0

rrhobdy

Greenie
Dec 9, 2014
Knightdale, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you have might be a weathered piece of kimberlite. Kimberlite looks like a breciated stone and has crystals enclosed. It looks like there were a couple of garnets...red/orange in color. One way you can tell for sure, is take a piece of the rock with the clear crystals and either remove the crystals or soak the whole small piece with the crystals (including the seperated crystals) in a plastic container for 24 hours using a solution of hydroflouric acid (which is obtained at Walmart at the rust remover shelf, and is in a bottle called WHINK). Be careful, that solution is very dangerous even when weak. If the crystals show signs of etching under a microscope, then they are not diamonds. Diamonds are pure carbon and impervious to the acid.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread