Need help on choosing tools.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm about to buy some tools for general rockhounding and gold prospecting. I was planning planning on getting a 22 oz Estwing rock pick, the Estwing Paleo Pick, and Estwing's 8 and 12 inch chisels. I was about to order when I found some Stanley chisels. The Stanley chisels are obviously not as nice as Estwing's but the price is right and I was wondering if I would ever need a smaller one, like stanley's 1/2" or 3/8" (~$5). What do you think, do the two Estwing's have it covered, do I only need one chisel, two, or more?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two chisels and a gad, 2 pound jack, sharp and flat rock hammers, hand shovel, small hand rake, good leather gloves, safety glasses, large heavy screw driver and a smaller one, buckets, pan and snuffer bottle..... back pack.... oh lots of things ;) Depends on what your after and where.
As to chisels 2 is best when working open cracks. A good gad will help as well and acts as both a chisel and a pry bar. Does not really matter the maker of the chisel but you do get what you pay for. Look for 12" long chisels as the smaller 6" lead to more bruised fingers than you can believe.

Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is to get estwing brand everything. We got a cheaper rock hammer and my son bent it first time he used it. We buy only estwing now.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also use a bunch of cheaper chisels. But do get a good hammer, estwing for example.

A geologist's hammer/pick is also useful for larger boulders and sampling. Like this one leaning on a breccia:

Besides you need some small field apparel:
Compass & Map
Knife
Loupe, streak plate
Sample bags
Gloves and eye protection
Waterproof markerpen (for sample bags marking!)
Backpack
Good boots for hiking

For goldpanning I suggest:
Gold Pan
Shovel
Sieve
Bucket
Waterproof boots (if the water is cold!)

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From experience, I try to travel light, but a compass, knife and lighter are always handy. Plastic pail or strong backpack for the samples. Bottle of water and a snack. For rockhounding, a crowbar or other kinds of persuader. A jewelers optic to look at things in detail. Work gloves & band aids, bug spray & sunscreen. Liquid soap if around poison ivy. Glasses for anytime you hammer. Camera (waterproof). Of course, luck....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread