Beautiful stone inside a hollow like rock !!!!

Daprezident661

Oct 10, 2014
Delano, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428566280.829154.jpg I cut the rock in half and wow ! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428566410.557512.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428566507.939342.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428566989.810618.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428567143.852587.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit that cut dead on. Nice :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daprezident661

Daprezident661

Oct 10, 2014
Delano, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks .. I'm still learning .. I never knew a rock could be like this . :) but what could that crystal be ?

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Strangely, it almost looks like a Calcite crystal inside. I'm not sure, but it's awesome! Great job! -Luke

Upvote 0

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Excellent job. I have a couple geodes and a wet tile saw but don't know how to choose where to cut. Do you weigh it or go by external features or just go for it and hope for the best? Nice.

Upvote 0

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
There is a place close to Hamilton Illinois right across the Mississippi river from Keokuk Iowa where you can dig geodes for a fee. I think it was around twenty five dollars and we dug three five gallon buckets of them. I've been putting them in my Geocache off and on for several years. Look up the Big Kahuna in Wisconsin.

Sidevalve45

Upvote 0

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calcite comes to my mind as well, if you can get your hands on a short wave black light it might fluoresce if it is calcite. Take a look at my busted geode post I made and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent job. I have a couple geodes and a wet tile saw but don't know how to choose where to cut. Do you weigh it or go by external features or just go for it and hope for the best? Nice.

I use the SWAG method. Scientific wild a$$ guess.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daprezident661

Daprezident661

Oct 10, 2014
Delano, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place close to Hamilton Illinois right across the Mississippi river from Keokuk Iowa where you can dig geodes for a fee. I think it was around twenty five dollars and we dug three five gallon buckets of them. I've been putting them in my Geocache off and on for several years. Look up the Big Kahuna in Wisconsin.

Sidevalve45

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking that up soon .

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There is a member here with a post titled "Need a rock identified?" or something close to that. Do a search at the top right of the page and it should come up. Cool find whatever ya call it. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
None of the geodes we open had anything fantastic inside for crystals but it was interesting to the wife, kid and myself as well. We had to cross a small creek to get to the dig site and I happened to see a round rock laying in the creek so I picked it up and gave it a shake and sure enough it was a geode and hollow inside. Check out the site below.

http://geodefest.org/Home_Page.php

Good luck,
Sidevalve45

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't the simple test for calcite crystal, a drop of muriatic acid? If it bubbles, good chance it is calcite. I have seen people do this in the field on native rock to confirm calcite, but never seen it done on a geode.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't the simple test for calcite crystal, a drop of muriatic acid? If it bubbles, good chance it is calcite. I have seen people do this in the field on native rock to confirm calcite, but never seen it done on a geode.

Actually bubbles indicate a carbonate but it is a valuable test. Even a weak acid like vinegar will get a reaction on some. I dilute the acid to about 1/3 with water. Keep it off the fingers.

In cases where a natural acid acting on say limestone can have the affect over time of reducing the reaction to no reaction. I was at a mine once and the owner told of that being the case there.
Lots of geodes have quartz inside. Some purple amethyst.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread